Need a spring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cmccarter

Anyone have and extra spring...the kind that goes at the top of rollerballs. Mine fell off the workbench and apparently the gremlins that live there either hid it from me or cast an invisibility spell on it.

they are mean little suckers!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

Just a thought for next time....

I keep one of the extendable magnetic pickup tools from Harbor Freight nearby for occasions such as this. I extend it and then sweep it across the floor to see what it picks up.

Amazing what I find sometime. Also handy to retreive the bushings I drop into the sawdust pile beneath my lathe.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I have gremlins living in my shop too. They like to hide stuff and throw parts on the floor. Every once in a while I sweep up and am able to replenishment my spare parts box.

Of course most of the parts are not magnetic. :eek:

I learned a long time ago that when working with really small parts to put a clean rag on the floor and work on top of the rag. That way nothing can fall off the bench and disappear on the floor because you are already on the floor.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
When working as a gunsmith I learned to work inside a large clear plastic bag to prevent springs and small parts from becoming airborne and lost. Why arn't I smart enough to realize this would work with pens too? :confused:

workinforwood

Ah...Ace hardware. 1/4 inch spring, usually about an inch long, 20 cents. cut it to length, good for at least 2 pens. They have drawers full of springs of all sizes, usually a cabinet on an endcap with the nuts and bolts. I always have lots..when you make custom pens, you may need different lengths of springs depending how long you want your pen, or how long you drill the hole, so that's a great solution.

Top Bottom