Need a source ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
... for some figured red or white oak pen blanks. I have a potentially significant customer who says the ordered pens MUST be native to Michigan. I have the other woods I want but oak is a problem (which is curious as it is everywhere here). The "normal" sources either don't carry what I need, are out of stock or are pretty pricey. Ed & Dawn and other IAP vendors don't show anything so I'm semi-desperate. Dry is best. Stabilized not required.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Find a lumber yard near you and buy some boards and cut them up. Not telling if they were grown in your state but not sure there is a way to tell unless it has a distinct color or other telltale sign.

JT - I have an excellent supplier here (Johnson's Workbench in Charlotte, MI). They have about any wood I would want but their red and white oak generally isn't figured. Just awful when all you can find is clear wood!!! And the wood doesn't have to be native to Michigan, just the species.

Last edited:

Brian G

Ted, can you clarify, please? In post #5 you stated that the wood doesn't have to be native to MI, just the species. Do you mean that the wood need not have grown in MI, but it can be either RO or WO because it's a species native to MI?

I have some curly, mineral streaked, Minnesota RO in board form that I can cut (rip, cross, or both) into 3/4" blanks for you if you're interested. The board has been stored in my dry basement for several years.

Left side is "as is," right side is wiped with mineral spirits.

CurlyMineralRO.jpg

Let me know if this works for you.

Marmotjr

Might also want to give Bell Forest a call, they're Michigan based and seem to be able to source just about anything. Looking at their site now they have a bunch of Red Oak on hand, including turning blanks, and 1 board of White oak. Both at reasonable prices. Bell Forest Products

Last edited:
Top Bottom