Need some tutoring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chiefgreen

Can't find an "un-penturning" forum, so I picked this one. :biggrin:

My question is the dis-assembly of the Slim-Line tip and twist mechanism . I figure removing the twist mechanism before removing the tip is where you start, since trying to remove the tip will probably ruin it.

I thought I had a good idea, after removing the refill, I put a 4" 10-32 screw into the twist mechanism. I pulled on the screw and the twist mechanism came right out, then I was able to remove the tip. Man, am I smart, NOT!. I tried 3 more pens and each time the "guts" of the mechanism came out.

So, what am I doing wrong? Does the tip come off first and if so, how without ruining it? Or, what is the best and most non-destructive way of removing the twist mechanism?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

I agree with Mike. I've used that technique several times for problem transmissions.

If you don't need to drop the tranny, The basic Pen Dis-assembly kit works fine. The skinny rod fits through the trans and takes out the nib. I've done that to alter the hardware on a given body. It's not damaged the nib yet.

Good Luck..

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Use a punch set from Harbor freight. Start with the largest punch that will slip though the tranny and punch the tip out, then use the largest punch that fits in the tube to punch the tranny. You will want to cover the pen with a towel or something so the parts don't go flying when the come out. And no, it doesn't damage the parts, I've done it more times than I care to admit.

its_virgil

Here are the instructions for using the Woodcraft disassemble tool. The rod sizes are available in the Harbor Freight transfer punch kit....another reason to get that kit. The punch kit that PSI sells has square ends on both ends but the price is twice the HF price. The HF transfer punch set has every size I've needed to disassemble every kit I've had a need to take apart.

Her is the link: http://www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/77B17.pdf

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Can't find an "un-penturning" forum, so I picked this one. :biggrin:

My question is the dis-assembly of the Slim-Line tip and twist mechanism . I figure removing the twist mechanism before removing the tip is where you start, since trying to remove the tip will probably ruin it.

I thought I had a good idea, after removing the refill, I put a 4" 10-32 screw into the twist mechanism. I pulled on the screw and the twist mechanism came right out, then I was able to remove the tip. Man, am I smart, NOT!. I tried 3 more pens and each time the "guts" of the mechanism came out.

So, what am I doing wrong? Does the tip come off first and if so, how without ruining it? Or, what is the best and most non-destructive way of removing the twist mechanism?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not me

Use a punch set from Harbor freight. Start with the largest punch that will slip though the tranny and punch the tip out, then use the largest punch that fits in the tube to punch the tranny. You will want to cover the pen with a towel or something so the parts don't go flying when the come out. And no, it doesn't damage the parts, I've done it more times than I care to admit.

My next successful disassembly of a pen will make it an even once. I follow the instructions but have not found a way to grip the barrel when I rap the punch sharply to drive out the tip. Every time I try it the barrel goes flying with the tip still attached.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
My next successful disassembly of a pen will make it an even once. I follow the instructions but have not found a way to grip the barrel when I rap the punch sharply to drive out the tip. Every time I try it the barrel goes flying with the tip still attached.
A latex or nitrile glove should do the trick, although I have used a piece of a computer mouse pad.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I use one of those flexible pads for opening the lids on jars. Wrap it around the barrel of the pen, cover the pen with a small towel and bang the punch on the floor until it comes apart. Of course, with this procedure since I'm already on my knees a little praying doesn't hurt.:biggrin:

thewishman

A rubber band also works. Just wrap it around the barrel a couple of times.

phillywood

I use one of those flexible pads for opening the lids on jars. Wrap it around the barrel of the pen, cover the pen with a small towel and bang the punch on the floor until it comes apart. Of course, with this procedure since I'm already on my knees a little praying doesn't hurt.:biggrin:
Dale, I think the trick is more of the praying than the actual thingy. :biggrin:

RAdams

Banned
WOOT on the HF punch set! A tool that should be in every penmakers arsenal! They also make good pin chucks, silicone tube seal breakers, resin gallon jug hole makers, center marker, fist pack, etc. etc.

penfancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBluesman
A latex or nitrile glove should do the trick, although I have used a piece of a computer mouse pad.
Bet the mouse was &*^%ed off.

That made me smile today!!! Thanks!:biggrin:

Top Bottom