Need some tool suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penworx

I am new to penturning and have already made a big mistake in my opinion by purchasing a non-variable speed mini-lathe. The other is that my dad gave me and old Black and Decker drill press and the bearings are shot...It couldn't drill a straight hole for a million bucks....I'm looking to replace the drill press and the mini-lathe...suggestions?

Doug

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Are you just starting out? Trying this to see if you like it? Then either get a Harbor Freight mini lathe with vs or look for a used lathe on craig list. Is there a turning club near you? Go there and talk to the members. Maybe someone is upgrading and you can strike a deal.
Don't forget the classifieds here in the IAP. Welcome and good luck.

Jim Burr

Banned
What mini-lathe do you have Doug? I'm not aware of any that are single speed...but I don't get around much! Drill press if a big variable!! Table or floor, travel length, chuck size...lot's to talk about there...I'm in the market for a new to me DP too!

edstreet

How old is the lathe? Beyond the return period? Variable speed is somewhat over rated in some viewpoints but it does have it's perks. What what specs like make/model/info on the lathe?

The press you can replace teh bearings and get some decent life out of that. Is it an antique press?

turncrazy43

Rikon makes a reasonably priced mini lathe. Woodcraft frequently has them on sale for around $350. They are variable speed. The Jet mini is also reasonable and is VS. Buy a Jacobs chuck and drill your blanks right on the lathe. I prefer the Delta Midi 46-460 as is has a reverse feature that is awfully convenient.

CrimsonKeel

VS is over rated for making pens IMO. Its a great feature but i can change the belts on my 1644 in around 20 seconds with very little effort. VS would be alot more useful on making bowls. for pens you set a initial speed turn it then make one belt change to sand for acrylics a couple more belt changes if its wood and your doing CA but really time lost is a few minutes doing belt changes. So if VS is what is keeping you from liking your mini then id ignore it. if its some other problem like you wanna do big bowls then we need to know that so we can help you select a appropriate sized lathe.

like turncrazy43 said buy a jacobs chuck and drill on the lathe. i got mine form harbor freight for like 10 bucks or less i think

dwarmbrodt

Doug, first, a big welcome from another Doug in Rochester!
Keep and learn to use the lathe you have, and keep watching craigslist. I found my Jet there. If you dont mind the ride, watch CL in Buffalo. More tools listed there. Nothing wrong with more than one lathe!

I like to use a non-vs. lathe because it requires me to slow down, stop in between changes in procedure. I would make more mistakes if I jumped to the next tool or position without thinking it through.
It would cost less to buy the accessories to drill on the lathe than to buy a new press.

Tieflyer

I started with a Craigslist lathe, $80 vintage craftsman that did most of what I asked it to do. Promptly started saving for a better lathe and upgraded when it became impossible to center any more. Basically I made sure I was interested enough to continue turning. Got a Skill bench top drill press on sale at the big box store and a pen centering vise as well. IMO that's a fast and efficient way to handle production IF you're into production. Drilling on the lathe works just fine too, I do that for singe runs or oddball length.

Depending on what lathe you have you could just swap out the motor for variable speed one using this: Variable Speed Midi Lathe Conversion Kit: for Turncrafter , Jet & Delta Lathes at Penn State Industries while I have toyed with getting this myself, I just haven't seen the need to spend more money when what I have works. I've had my 6-speed Jet (non-vs) mini lathe for 15 years and have been more than happy with it turning pens. As previously noted it only takes a few seconds to change speeds.

edstreet

Depending on what lathe you have you could just swap out the motor for variable speed one using this: Variable Speed Midi Lathe Conversion Kit: for Turncrafter , Jet & Delta Lathes at Penn State Industries while I have toyed with getting this myself, I just haven't seen the need to spend more money when what I have works. I've had my 6-speed Jet (non-vs) mini lathe for 15 years and have been more than happy with it turning pens. As previously noted it only takes a few seconds to change speeds.

Mike, would/could this addition cause excess strain on some motors and burn them out faster?

OOPS

I have a VS lathe and love it. I admit I would never buy one without the VS option, now that I have had one. However, I don't think you especially NEED a VS lathe when just starting out. SOME belts change relatively easily while others are a frustrating handfull. If you want an inexpensive VS lathe, the HF lathe mentioned above is what I have owned for three years and really like it. But I would experiment with what you have for awhile before making an immediate change.

For a DP, I agree that your cheapest route may be to replace the bearings on the unit and see if that solves the problem. If shopping for a new/newer drill press, a lot of things come into the equation. Drilling on the DP is faster than drilling on the lathe, however, most will say the lathe drilling gives you the most accurate result. I like to drill acrylic on the lathe because I can go more slowly...when drilling on the DP I tend to rush, which can melt the acrylic. (that just might be my lack of patience) I drill wood blanks on the DP, which as stated, is faster.

I am not saying all bargain priced drill presses are bad, but some of them lack the precision, hence the lower cost. I would seek the advice of others before making a specific DP purchase.

I hope this helps.

fernhills

The big advantage in VS lathes is it (0) speed and up. When you turn a large 12" unruly bowl you want that outside dia going a lot slower. + there are other applications where you want the speed at 150 rpm. I have a regular belt driven lathe since the beginning about 30 years. My lathe can go as low as 300 rpm and as fast as 3600 rpm which covers most of what i want to do. Good Luck, Carl.

(Mike, would/could this addition cause excess strain on some motors and burn them out faster?)

Ed - I'm hardly an expert, but VS system I linked to includes both a VS control and matching motor so no effect on existing lathe motor which is replaced. Reading the reviews there seem to be number of people with overheating problems so may be some issues

mike

Top Bottom