Need some suggestions please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

micah

Situation....my first big sale!
I have a gentlemen who is ordering a couple of really nice fountains from me and is wanting to know if I had any suggestions for a new fountain for his Mother in Puerto Rico. From his recollection she has NEVER written with anything other that a Fountain and is now 90yrs old. She told him "it wasn't dignified to write with anything else!" She has been using a Parker for numerous years. I think he said since he was a little boy, until a couple years ago when something broke. He said that she sent it back, but they no longer made that kind and sent her their top of the line pen as a replacement. He said that there was a big write up in their local paper about it.
Now my delimma. He wants to find something that is in the smaller size and very elegant. I have got some BIG shoes to fill considering the time that I have been turning. Price is not an issue, but I don't want to just pick out the most expensive one and make a sell.
Any suggestions?
Micah

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Micah-- I am far from a FP expert having only made a hand-full myself. I looked around and went with Barons for my FP's --price is right and makes a nice product.

Tea Clipper

I'd choose a 22k Jr. Statesman from Craft Supplies, a 14k gold nib from Anthony (PenWorks), and either Lily Rose BEB from AzSil or Fuchsia BEB also from CSU.

TomServo

I agree, even if I haven't made a Jr Statesman myself yet - if she's 90, she's probably not going to want a huge heavy pen - and the statesman is nice and elegant. I'd find out if there's a piece of cherished furniture or something you can try and match - perhaps a favorite wood or color? Find out if she'd prefer a glossy finish or the feel of wood.

Keep in mind that the only difference between a FP and RB/BP is the business end - all the rest is often exactly the same.

Rifleman1776

Which ever you choose, I suggest you only turn it bushing to bushing. Don't attempt to add curves or bulges as these also add weight. And, when posted a 'bulgy' Baron can feel heavy and awkward to write with for some.

Ryan

If price is not an issue I would also do the Jr Statesman but I would also put a "Penchetta" gold nib on it. You can see Anthony for the nib.

Ryan

JimGo

Do you have a picture or model number of the original pen she used? While I agree that the Jr. Statesman is a beautiful pen, it may be bigger than what she used in the past. Once you have a picture, you can decide which kit most closely emulates it, and then either try to re-create the pen (using one of Anthony's nibs!) or come up with something of a similar size. Another factor, though, is whether she's arthritic and can hold a smaller-diameter pen.

IMHO, you need some more info before choosing the correct kit for her.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Good suggestions!!

Good luck, hope she is happy with your choice.

Another thought, maybe she has an old, sentimental piece of wood she would like you to use. Frequently, people of that age think everything they have will be a burden to those who have to "clean up the estate". But, if an old end-table leg (one of the 3 that are left on it) can be made into this pen, WOW-you're a magician. AND, the pen automatically feels just right!

micah

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
I'm definantly going to ask him about the suggestion of using a piece of wood from furniture, ect. But, I think with us up here in the states and her down in Puerto Rico, that might not be a possibility. I will ask if there is a certain type that is prefered or if he might know what kind the the parker was made of.
I do know that small in overall size and diameter is wanted. No worries about athritis.
It looks as though the Jr. Statesman is probably going to be on the top of the list for suggestion, but I'm still looking.
Thanks everyone!
Micah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom