Need some suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave_Junior

I am looking for some sort of case to carry and then display my pens in. I would like it to hold at least 30 pens. I would also need it to hold a small slimline up to a fat cigar pen. Any suggestions?

I was looking at this one. Any experiences with it? Reviews say that the 48 pen case will not hold cigar pens and that worries me.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/24/4998/Artisan-Leatherette-Pen-Storage-Case

Thanks,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have several of those that I used at shows (early in my selling).

The 30 pen version will hold Parker style pens, I would not use it for cigars--too tight.

But then a cigar will only be comfortable in the really large cases.

The 48 pen version of this was just right for showing 48 slimlines or comfort pens. (A good number to start a show)

magpens

I use cases like that that hold 32 pens. I bought them about 5 years ago from Exotics I believe.

They hold Cigar pens OK, but the elastic is a little weak for Cigars.

I would advise you against the 48 pen version ... slots are too small for Cigars and elastic too tight.

I have about 10 of the 32 pen cases and I use them for shows but put only 16 pens in each for the shows. . Pens look better not crowded together.

Beware that the weight of your pens will pull the grey molded backing pieces away from the top/bottom of the case ... only glued on.

When not at shows, I store my black cases with the hinge edge down in a cardboard box meant for archiving file folders (bought from Staples or Office Depot). Stored in that way the weight of the pens is towards the hinge and things don't come unglued.

Dave_Junior

I should probably add that I am still new to pen turning and only turn slimlines and cigars at the moment. I don't see myself getting anything that is fatter then a cigar pen. Since I mostly turn slimlines, the 30 pen case should work right?

monophoto

You can probably buy something, but I tend to prefer a combination of maximum DIY content and minimum cost.

A number of years ago, I bought a wooden cigar box from a cigar store, and then made an insert to hold pens. The insert was made from mdf with a series of grooves machined in the surface using a router with a round-nose bit. Then, I glued a sheet of felt to the mdf, compressing it into the grooves.

This week, wife and I wandered into a charity shop where I noticed that they had a couple of old Dell briefcase-style computer cases that they were selling for $5. Back in the day when laptop computers first came on the market, they routinely came with cases that typically lasted far longer than the computers they were designed to protect.

Anyway, I could visualize using a computer case as the basic container, with a series of shop-made felt-lined trays to hold pens.

Top Bottom