need some ideas on large cal casing pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

leatherjunkie

I was given some 50 bmg empty shells.
I want to make a pen out of these shells.
I know that the pen will have to be completely inside of the shell.
I want to have the nib be the transmission to be able to turn the pen on or off.
I am thinking about using the slim pen parts.
does anyone have any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sorry, I have no idea what a 50bmg shell would look like.

If you don't get any answers, post a pic and maybe some of us (who know pens, but NOT ammunition) can help!![:)][:)]

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Sorry, I have no idea what a 50bmg shell would look like.

If you don't get any answers, post a pic and maybe some of us (who know pens, but NOT ammunition) can help!![:)][:)]

Ed your right.
sometimes I forget that there are lots of people that dont know firearms and or ammo. I am around people everyday that know more about firearms and ammo than I do.
I will take a pic of the 50 bmg shell next to a 30-06 shell for comparison.
I know the shell casing takes a .510 diameter bullet.

Leap, your close.
BMG stands for browning machine gun.
yep laymans term big mother#$%^&* gun

leatherjunkie

I know that i will have to turn the <s>nib</s>tip for this pen.
I will have to turn a shoulder to fit just inside the mouth of the case and turn the rest to a pen shaped <s>nib</s>tip.
my question is how do i make the pen <s>nib </s>tip become a transmission?

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by laspringer
<br />I made one out of an Atlas kit,you had to twist the nib to extend the
tip.

Alan

Hmm,
mabey i got names mixed up on parts.
the tip of the pen is what i want to act like a transmission.
I'm thinking that i want to have the pen pull out of the shell casing at the tip to be able to replace the ink.

LEAP

Russ posted an explanation of a jay line twist tip a couple of days ago on the show off your pens forum. Damn if I know how to ad a link of it here but its worth a look. It may answer your question.

LEAP

Ah, Figured it out, check this post. The same process using a larger kit maybe a cigar may be just what you need.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21172

pssherman

Here is a link to a 50 BMG pen I made using a slimline kit. Twisting the tip allows the refill to extend and retreat. I would have submitted this in the slimline contest but rule 9 says not to submit pens that have been posted before.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=13333

This is an actual working slimline pen that I made them using the bullet as the tip.
200712424625_BMG_bullet_tip.jpg
<br />
The rosewood tipped pen and 2 of the bullet tipped pens sold for $50 each. One lady referred to it as a testosterone pen.

Paul in AR

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by pssherman
<br />Here is a link to a 50 BMG pen I made using a slimline kit. Twisting the tip allows the refill to extend and retreat. I would have submitted this in the slimline contest but rule 9 says not to submit pens that have been posted before.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=13333

This is an actual working slimline pen that I made them using the bullet as the tip.
200712424625_BMG_bullet_tip.jpg
<br />
The rosewood tipped pen and 2 of the bullet tipped pens sold for $50 each. One lady referred to it as a testosterone pen.

Paul in AR

Paul,
Thanks for posting that link. that is what i was thinking about.
I just wasn't sure how to get the transmission to work yet.
I'm not selling the 50 bmg pen. I just want to make one for a friend at work. My friend is the ammo handler at the shop.

One question how did you center the dowel rod in the shell?

thanks again everyone for posting information and pictures. I havent had time to post a picture of the shell yet. The shells are not done being cleaned yet. I put them in my brass tumbler.

Leon

leatherjunkie

Picture taken aboard USS McCain DDG-56 in June 2002
Twin 0.50" (12.7 mm) BMG

200712434818_twin%2050%20bmgs.jpg
<br />
thought that i would post a picture of the actual weapon the 50 shell casing goes into.

pssherman

Leon

Leon,
1) Use a 1/2 inch dowel cut to an appropriate length. Use a completed front section to determine that length. The dowel prevents the bullet from going further into the shell. If you make the wood tip, then the shoulder does that and dowels length is not very critical.
2) Drill the dowel for the tube and glue the tube in so the the end is about 1/4 inch inside the back end. Then seal the back end in any manner. Enlarge the hole at the front down to the tube to provide clearance for the lower tube.
3) The back/base of the shell is tapered on the inside, so the dowel will center itself when inserted. I put epoxy inside the shell and inserted the prepared dowel in. I used the completed tip assembly to center the front of the dowel. Allow to cure.
4) Remove the tip assembly and stuff crumpled paper towel between the dowel and the shell near the neck. You do not have to fill the whole shell. Just enough to support the front end.
5) Drizzle CA on the paper towel a little at a time and allow it to soak into the paper towel. When it looks like you have a solid bridge between the dowel and the shell then it's done.
6) Sand/trim the end of the dowel, hole, back of the tip assembly etc if needed to remove any binding that may exist.
NOTE: It is VERY important to make sure that the tube in the tip assembly is centered when you glue it in if you are using a bullet tip since you will not be able to turn it on the lathe.

Hope this helps.
BTW. I sold all that I made, so I can't get any more pictures to show more detail until I make some more later this year.

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by pssherman
<br />

Leon

Leon,
1) Use a 1/2 inch dowel cut to an appropriate length. Use a completed front section to determine that length. The dowel prevents the bullet from going further into the shell. If you make the wood tip, then the shoulder does that and dowels length is not very critical.
2) Drill the dowel for the tube and glue the tube in so the the end is about 1/4 inch inside the back end. Then seal the back end in any manner. Enlarge the hole at the front down to the tube to provide clearance for the lower tube.
3) The back/base of the shell is tapered on the inside, so the dowel will center itself when inserted. I put epoxy inside the shell and inserted the prepared dowel in. I used the completed tip assembly to center the front of the dowel. Allow to cure.
4) Remove the tip assembly and stuff crumpled paper towel between the dowel and the shell near the neck. You do not have to fill the whole shell. Just enough to support the front end.
5) Drizzle CA on the paper towel a little at a time and allow it to soak into the paper towel. When it looks like you have a solid bridge between the dowel and the shell then it's done.
6) Sand/trim the end of the dowel, hole, back of the tip assembly etc if needed to remove any binding that may exist.
NOTE: It is VERY important to make sure that the tube in the tip assembly is centered when you glue it in if you are using a bullet tip since you will not be able to turn it on the lathe.

Hope this helps.
BTW. I sold all that I made, so I can't get any more pictures to show more detail until I make some more later this year.

Yes that should help me muddle my way through this project.
I will post pics when i get this figured out.
it probably will take me about a month due to projects that i have started already.

and thanks to everyone that has posted information here.

Leon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom