Need some help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

Most of you know I have been playing around with sandstone.

Cutting a blank to size was the first challange, still getting that worked out. Squaring up the ends, need to replace the sand paper on the disk now. It was getting worn anyway.

I drilled up a slimline, glued in the tube with CA. Up to this point not too bad.

I bought some files to help me cut it down. They are not holding up very well. Also I found out the sandstone soaked up some of the CA glue and had a bare spot inside. Next time I will try a different method with the CA or a different glue.

Here is the question, what tools or files are there that sandstone will not destroy. I bought some files and needless to say they would not last through very many pens. AS well as they did not cut it down very fast.

I ended getting a tear out at the end. I tried to glue some dust back in there and found out that CA was not good on the outside. So no CA finish. I cut out the chipped section and will try to think of something later as a oops band.

No pictures tonight, I taped off 1/2 of it and put a couple coats of lacquer on it to see what that does.

Again any ideas on types of files or tools that would stand up to the sandstone.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cowchaser

What about a 4" grinder with a diamond blade? Also (can't find the link now) I read that you want to varnish it with several coats. If you don't it said eventually it will crumble. Said to use brush on varnish not the spray. I believe the sell varnish in clear, but I could be wrong.

BruceK

How about permagrit?

“What materials can I use Perma-Grit ®Tools on?â€
All Woods, Glass Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Kevlar, Perspex, Plexiglas, Lexan, Acrylics, Plastics, Laminates, MDF, Polystyrene, Brass, Copper, Ceramics, Stone, Slate, Marble, Brick etc.

http://www.permagrit.com/

I use this on truestone and it works great for taking the blank down close to finishing size. I got tired of always sharpening tools with the darn stuff.

redfishsc

Have you considered buying some of the carbide tools for metal lathes? You would HAVE to be careful to not beat them up since carbide is brittle, I'd assume.

Here's some from Axeminster I just googled.

536001_l.jpg

BruceK

I am using their sanding blocks. I got the SANDING BLOCK WEDGE 140mm x 51mm coarse/fine grit and the SANDING BLOCK FLAT 280mm x 51mm
coarse/fine grit. I also have the NEEDLE FILE SMALL Hand (14cms). I originally got them thinking I would use them to fair the hulls of wooden ship models but I haven't been doing too much ship modeling lately. These things are tough. I haven't tried real stone with them but I bet they would eat up sandstone with no problems. They aren't cheap but I can't imagine how you could ruin them.

Randy_

Sandstones are made up primarily of quartz which is one of the harder substances in nature. It is the abrasive material used in a lot of sandpapers. Many use sandpaper to hone and or sharpen their edged tools so it is easy to understand why steel cutting tools don't stand up well to working sandstone. I think you have to look at diamond tools of various sorts.

I have no idea how carbide tools would hold up. My suggestion would be to find some carbide tools that you like and then quiz the manufacturer as to whether they will hold up for your particular application.

Whatever you do, there is going to be a lot of heat and abrasive dust generated. You might want to give consideration to water-cooling your operation??

Other thing you might do is talk to some folks who are involved in lapidary work or stone cutters.

font=Comic Sans MS]

redfishsc

Originally posted by Randy_

Whatever you do, there is going to be a lot of heat and abrasive dust generated. You might want to give consideration to water-cooling your operation??

Water cooling, if done safely, might just be your chicken. I know that cutting ceramic tile is a LOT easier and safer if you are using a wet saw--- reduces the dust flying around. Also keeps the tools from blunting as quickly.

Top Bottom