Need Some Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

Hi, all. I decided to turn a piece of a 12" rod that I purchased here on IAP several years ago (I know, I'm slow:)). I could see striations in it, but couldn't feel them so I felt that it wasn't casein. I cut it to length, cut the upper and lower pieces and glued in the tubes. I square the ends of my tubed blanks on a disk sander, with a jig I made to keep it perpendicular to the sanding disk. As I was sanding it, I got a puff of smoke and then a flame shot out of the end:eek: No, I didn't have any black powder in the tube.

The flame went right out, but as I kept sanding the ends, it kept happening.

I then put one of the pieces on the lathe and started to turn it. It had a soapy? like smell as I turned it.

I'm including pictures of the rod and the piece that I currently have on the lathe.

Does anyone have any ideas what kind of material this may be? It would be helpful so that I can use the proper finish.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• raw blank.jpg
    raw blank.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 193
  • turned blank.jpg
    turned blank.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 201
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Your second picture does look like casein. I have never seen it square, but that certainly does not mean it doesn't exist!!

elkhorn

That was my impression as well, Ed. However, I've never had casein or galaith "flame" like this one did. I know both are made with formaldehyde, but this is a new one for me.

Wondering if it isn't a synthetic material - the same thing that they used to make the collars of men's shirts. That is until they discovered (as you have) that it was highly flammable. Can't recall the name of it, though. Anybody else?

farmer

rod

Hi, all. I decided to turn a piece of a 12" rod that I purchased here on IAP several years ago (I know, I'm slow:)). I could see striations in it, but couldn't feel them so I felt that it wasn't casein. I cut it to length, cut the upper and lower pieces and glued in the tubes. I square the ends of my tubed blanks on a disk sander, with a jig I made to keep it perpendicular to the sanding disk. As I was sanding it, I got a puff of smoke and then a flame shot out of the end:eek: No, I didn't have any black powder in the tube.

The flame went right out, but as I kept sanding the ends, it kept happening.

I then put one of the pieces on the lathe and started to turn it. It had a soapy? like smell as I turned it.

I'm including pictures of the rod and the piece that I currently have on the lathe.

Does anyone have any ideas what kind of material this may be? It would be helpful so that I can use the proper finish.

Thanks for any help!

Finished product looks like averon rod to me its in the for sale section
The seller is out of Hong Kong I believe , seems like a nice enough of a person and a machinist .

Proper finish I used CA but I have switched to epoxy or Solarez UV finish

elkhorn

Thanks, everyone. Just finished the pen. It sure looks like casein, but I'm not 100% sure. Came out pretty good. I'll post it along with some others, hopefully tomorrow. From what I've read, finishing with CA could cause cracks at some point. So as with the other casein pens I've done, I finished with MM to 12,000, then CSUSA Scratch Free, Huts Plastic Polish, Ren Wax.

We'll see what happens!

farmer

Polish

Thanks, everyone. Just finished the pen. It sure looks like casein, but I'm not 100% sure. Came out pretty good. I'll post it along with some others, hopefully tomorrow. From what I've read, finishing with CA could cause cracks at some point. So as with the other casein pens I've done, I finished with MM to 12,000, then CSUSA Scratch Free, Huts Plastic Polish, Ren Wax.

We'll see what happens!

Polishing creams no MM was used .

jttheclockman

Looks like either the real casein or even the faux stuff that vendors sell. Never seen in a square blank though.

elkhorn

Ted, thanks. Seems like you're in the majority with the celluloid.

Mike, good guess. That material you're using seems interesting.

John, thanks for your suggestion.

Chris, looks like you were correct.

Bill, thanks for the link. Yes it did have a smell similar to camphor. The description in the link as to how it feels and looks like real ivory is spot on.

Thanks, everyone. It looks like my mystery blank has been identified. Lots of smart people here on IAP! Have a great weekend.

farmer

celluloid ivory

Ted, thanks. Seems like you're in the majority with the celluloid.

Mike, good guess. That material you're using seems interesting.

John, thanks for your suggestion.

Chris, looks like you were correct.

Bill, thanks for the link. Yes it did have a smell similar to camphor. The description in the link as to how it feels and looks like real ivory is spot on.

Thanks, everyone. It looks like my mystery blank has been identified. Lots of smart people here on IAP! Have a great weekend.

I think I am wrong, your stuff looks more like the celluloid ivory.
I think this has proven interesting and I don't mind learning about different materials this way, ( foot in mouth ) LOL .

I will look up the thread that sales the Averon rod < incorrect spelling sorry <
and edit the link.

I prefer to use natural materials and the imitation ivory I used on the mouth piece of the pipe was my first rodeo with that material .

This material machines nicely
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f157/fs-arvorin-imitation-ivory-substitute-material-140322/

Last edited:
Top Bottom