Need some help....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

opfoto

I made a PSI SL pen... everything was fine until I put the refill in. The transmission seems to stick, not allowing the nib to come out all the way. Tried a new refill (?), (I have forgotten the correct term so I'll use refill) did no better. When the refill is removed the transmission seems to work fine. What gives? Any thoughts? With great appreciation. Marc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KKingery

Are you sure you pressed the transmission in far enough? If the nib tip isn't coming out of the end, my guess would be that the transmission may need to be pressed a bit farther.

opfoto

When I first press the trans in, I press it shy of the line (1/16th or so)to check it, (also to make sure trans works properly... hard to see tranny work in hand) for fear of going to far in. Then I press it in a bit more. This particular one is right to the line. Its almost like its binding up when pressure is placed on the tranny threads from the refills. As I said it works fine with out any refill inserted. Maybe the tube is bent or squeezed???

Gregory Huey

With the top half of the pen still off turn the transmission with the refill installed you should be able to see it move. If it is moving in and out then press the transmission in a little deeper.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Marc...you may have a small burr on the brass tube that you are pressing into. Give it a little brush with a rat tail file (or even reverse roll some sandpaper and sand it a tad). Then try the transmission again.

timdaleiden

Marc,

One other thing to check is to see if the refill tip is able to pass through the hole. I never had this happen, but others have found the hole is not quite big enough for the tip to pass through. Check from the outside end.

If that is the problem, just a tiny drill bit may clear it out.

woodscavenger

I've had problems like Tim mentioned with a couple of cigars with off the shelf gel refills. The ink tips are a tad too large for the kit tip. I has to put a small file (you could use a drill bit) inside the tip to ream it out. Worked beautifully.

Good luck figuring out your problem.

opfoto

OK.. got it fixed... Thanks to all that helped... it was a combination of things...
1st...a burr or glue inside the tube...didn't seem to be there when I placed it on the mandrel. It didn't stick to it or go on hard. Or when it came off I never noticed a problem. Barrels came right off the mandrel as expected. Clean it out with barrel trimmer.(I did both barrels.)
2nd...I had to back the tranny out as well. I always do this in a 3 step process. press in then check, press in then check, test. It appears as though the barrell was a smidge to short.[:(] I heard the finish cycle can sometimes shrinks em. [:)]Thank you all once again.

jwoodwright

Marc,
If the barrel was too short, the transmission wouldn't go in as deep. [:I]

A longer bottom tube, means you have to press more transmission in to get it to write... [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom