Need some assistance in making segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

Lately I have taken a liking to segmented pen designs and have been working with some ideas of drilling holes in the blanks, equally around the blank.

Everything I have tried so far has either been a flop or very labor intensive. My latest attempt was to create a hexagon blank then drill in the center of each side. While it works pretty well, there has got to be an easier way.

I even drilled holes freehand into turned blank but what a pain in the rear that is and not a pretty picture.

There has got to be an easier way of drilling a series of holes around a blank to where they are equally spaced and perpendicular to the cylinder.

Any thoughts anyone would care to share?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hrigg

I haven't made one yet, but jig for a plunge router mounted over the lathe bed is the method I'm going to try. Use a ¼" spiral bit. My lathe has an indexing head, which should help make sure the holes are evenly spaced around the blank. Hadn't thought of making the blank hexagonal.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
If you want to keep it simple, I think the easiest way is with an index ring and one of those tool post drill bit guides. Someone here was selling them not too long ago.

Texatdurango

Greg, Yep, that's exactly what I need, thanks. I just visited the ebay store and after reading through the specs, believe the same indexer ring can be used on different lathes by simply changing out the ring jamb nuts. I've emailed them for clarification on a pending order.

Looks like it's time to use some of the baltic plywood I have in the shop to make a mount router/drill moto mount.

its_virgil

George, you could use one of these to keep holes equally spaced. This is advertisd for the jet mini but I don't see why it can't be used on any lathe with a 1"x8tpi spindle, or maybe they make other sizes. http://tinyurl.com/yur86m

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Texatdurango
<br />

Any thoughts anyone would care to share?

Texatdurango

Don, Thanks, that's the same outfit Greg mentioned and I emailed Alisam engineering yesterday with my needs, they quickly replied and I sent them a Paypal just moments ago. I should be indexing by weeks end!

Actually, since I have two lathes, the mini and the Jet 1642EVS, I ordered the "universal" 1 1/4 inch indexing system, WIS-1.25 for 39.99 and also another 1 inch indexing plate #JIP-001 for $19.99, which comes with a jamb nut to fit the 1 x 8 Jet mini spindle.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
If you buy the indexing jib straight from their website you will get it cheaper than on ebay. http://alisam.com/page/14g9e/Woodworking_turning.html

They have the "jet specific" where the indexing pin bracket bolts to the lathe and they have a "generic" that has the indexing pin in a magnetic base. They have that in various sizes for various lathes. Same price.

If you make the table, see if you can't cut an opening in the side so you can easily reach inside to clamp it down or pick up the dropped item or ... DAMHIKT would be good idea...

GK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom