need some advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

Hi peoples: Not much of a poster but once in awhile i do need some advice and this is the place to get it.
I had given to me 12 pen blanks of
teak-----12 of Persimmion--and a few of cocobolo.
What finish would I use on these??I mostly use Mini-wax finish on my pens.
thanks in advance for the advice. Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Mike,

Back home we have an old expression "Dance with him what brung you." If you are comfortable with Minwax, continue to use it. Personally, I use Enduro on all the wood that I turn. Whatever you use, be sure to clean the cocobolo of surface oils with denatured alcohol or acetone prior to applying the finish. Good luck with your windfall.

wayneis

ike neither the cocobolo or the teak really need much of a finish, sometimes I just use an oil finish like danish oil or teak oil after sanding and they come out very nice. Other than that like William my only other finish is Enduro. On oily woods, again like teak and cocobolo if you use a lacqure base sanding sealer you can use your min wax or Enduro. Persimmon it dosen't matter what you use, no oil.

Wayne

rtjw

Agree with wayne on this one. You wont need much on the coco or teak. Never done persimmon so wouldnt know what to tell you besides keep to what you have been doing.

MikeM

Hey, thanks guy's for the good advice. i will shop for some Enduro today and see what i can find. Lowes or HD or maybe ACE.
Friend has a furniture shop and he cuts me blanks whenever he has time. So far i have gotten --oak-H/Maple--S/Maple--Ash--A/Cedar--White cedar--Walnut--cocobolo--mahogany--Teak. All the blanks are cut to 5/8 x 5/8 x 2 1/16/also have a connection for corian of different colors. corian is though on my tools but they do make pretty pens and the ladies just go nuts over them. Thanks again. Mike

chigdon

It just depends on the finish you like and the look you are going for. I prefer the look of CA and rely on it's durability so it is the only finish I use.

MDWine

I am just finishing a persimmon pen, I used DEFT spray gloss, polished w/MM;
TSW/REN!
With any luck will get pic posted tonight? Tomorrow perhaps?
I applied a little BLO to the wood, I can't believe the look. It is very nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom