Need Shredded Money Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

So i ran into a shredded money blank i have had for a while and its pretty loosely packed with money. What color should i paint the inside of the blanks and the tube that woud really bring out the money colors?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Ive done green, white, and black. I like the black the best. I think it allows the money to stand out like in an endless space. The green was my second choice because it made the money look fuller on the blank. Just make sure you can match the green close to the money and not too bright. The white, in my opinion was too bright and stood out. Just my thougths. Good luck!

mick

I'll echo Johns choice of green. I use an acrylic craft paint that's a very close match to the overall green tint of the money. It's also a metallic color and I think this adds to making the blank look fuller. Since John mentioned black tho I may need to try one and see what it looks like!

JohnU

You know, you could over drill the hole a bit and glue some shredded money to the inside of the hole or tube and then epoxy or glue in place. Just a thought.

bruce119

My thought would be a light grey that would help lose the tube. On the other hand black does give a nice contrast and may look good.

A few tips is to paint the inside of the drilled blank and the tube and use epoxy not CA.

Another tip you should have some extra to work with. Cut off a piece that you don't need, drill it with a 1/4" bit, sand it round first then put it on your mandrill (no tube) now carefully turn it round and get it as thin as you dare. You should have about an inch give it a quick polish while it's on the lathe. Now take it off and with a Q-tip paint one end black the other a light grey or white. and see what you like better.

Now that blank didn't come from me did it :wink:

good luck

bruce119

You know, you could over drill the hole a bit and glue some shredded money to the inside of the hole or tube and then epoxy or glue in place. Just a thought.

That would work good with something like a Vista or CS elegant beauty (the one with smaller tube). But mite not work so well with like a cigar or a jr gent where there is less room after it is turned. Something to keep in mind.

Stango

If you need any help shredding your money, send it my way.... I will gladly shred it for you and send it back ready to make wonderful new blanks !! :party:

2cor520

I like black. The contrast is good and it gives the pen a look of depth that I liked compared to the white. I have not tried green, my concern there was the green tube would stand out to much if the green clashed with the cash.

2cor520

THarvey, what type of silver paint did you use? Mettalic? Sounds like a cool effect.

RichB

I made one pen with shredded money and painted the tube black. Many comments said it was to dark which kept the money from showing. I think if I do another one I will use a green of gray. Do a search and there might be more ideas. Hope this helps. RichB

Whaler

Here are a couple that I did last week. I used a Canadian money blank from mywoodshopca and cut it in half to do the two pens. The kits are Sierra EBs, the chrome kit has a white tube and the copper kit has a black tube. I think it shows just how dramatic the tube color can change the look.

Attachments

• SirraEBs.jpg
    SirraEBs.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 107
Top Bottom