Need segmenting advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brewmeister35

I have an interesting little project I'm working on. I'm wanting to make the pen cap with a piece of dyed stabilized BEB cut in 1/2 length-wise and the other 1/2 will be mahogany. I haven't done any segmented pens yet so I'm wondering if the different wood hardness will cause a problem or if I should send a piece of mahogany out to be stabilized.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I've segmented stabalized wood to "regular" wood, acrylics and truestone and haven't had anything fall apart yet.

It's all about a quality bond. I use either epoxy and or acrylic (Gorilla or Elmers) glue for my segments, no longer use CA because I DID have some CA bonds come apart.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Just remember to pin your tool to the rest so that it can't move in and out on the different density woods. Then when rough sanding it use a backer block so your fingers don't press in on the softer wood.

Works great!

GK

byounghusband

Sharp tools and light cuts will give you plenty of control when moving from one material to another.... And like Greg said, use a backer board when sanding so you don't dig into the softer materials.

Top Bottom