Need to remove tranny on cartridge pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lago

I have several cartridge pens where I had a problem when inserting the transmission. Occassionally, it takes more pressure than usual to get the tranny to slide in and when it does go, it sometimes goes in further than I need it. As a result, the tip of the refill sticks out too far. With the method that I use to make the lower, there is not glue or anything that should cause the tranny to bind.

I tried putting a small amount of lithium grease in the barrel and it slide in easy but when completed, it almost turns too easy. Not sure that was a good idea.

Now I am looking for suggestions on how to remove the tranny without destroying the cartridge. Also, do any of you have the same problem when inserting the transmission. FWIW, the transmissions are from WoodNWhimsies.

Lago

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

Well I have a dis-assembly kit that I bought many years back. You basically knock off the nib then flip it upside down, this one block fits over the transmission and you use a thick rod to tap it out and into the block.

I never lube for that, most you can work a few times and they will loosen up. A good adjustable pen press is in order, you just set the stop to only push so far so you will never go to deep.

lago

Well, this is a cartridge pen with brass cartridge and bullet for nib. Only way to remove transmission is to chop off bullet, which will run the whole thing.

Got to thinking after I did the post. I don't use glue when the tube is inserted in the cartridge but before I insert the transmission, I do dip the cartridge/bullet in a clear ceramic coat to keep it from tarnishing. It is possible that some of the liquid is seeping into the tube causing me the problem. I will put some wax in the tube before the dip process and then clean it out before final assembly.

Lago

Culprit

Well, this is a cartridge pen with brass cartridge and bullet for nib. Only way to remove transmission is to chop off bullet, which will run the whole thing.

Lago,

I don't know if you reload or not, but you can buy a kinetic bullet puller for $18. Some styles leave the base of the brass cartridge exposed, so it appears that it would work to remove your nib even with the transmission sticking out the back end.

This will allow you to remove the nib end without ruining the whole thing, and give you the access you need to remove or adjust the transmission seating depth.

Top Bottom