need parts for refurbing fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

I've made a new binde for a Pelikan pen. The photo is at:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/juliatate/pelikanredfromConklin.jpg

in case I can't get it to upload in the gallery. The tiger eye material was a little short so I used an extra piece of black acrylic to extend the barrel. The red material is also a little short and I'd like to extend this barrel too but I would like to have a gold ring in between the red material and the black material to be used as an extender. (I may use more of the red for the extension, in which case I really need the ring to delineated between the sections.)

Any suggestions of sources for gold plated rings? Kind of like washers? The inner diameter needs to be about 9 mm and the outer diameter needs to be about 11 diameters, (Although I'd like to buy a bunch of them so I'd have extras of varying sizes for future use.)

Any help you can give would be appreciated!

Julia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

I often have extra parts left over from kits. I can try to see if one of the gold rings match your dimension. It may be a couple days before I have a chance to check. If anyone knows of a kit that has rings in these dimension I would know for sure.

davidrei

I may be wrong, but aren't most gold pen kit parts just gold plated brass? If you are hoping to turn them to size, you might be in for a surprize. If you find something already with the right dimensions, you still might have to turn it or the surrounding wood to matching diameters. Sounds challenging to me. If you're able to find parts that are solid gold, let us know how it turns.

Another thought is that many have had success using brass shim stock as a separator between different woods. You can get it at any hobby shop that supports model making of various sorts (I'm sure you could find it on-line easily)

jtate

Oh no, I don't need to turn the metal piece. I just need the ring that would go between the already turned pieces of acrylic material, kind of like the center band on Slimlines, only thinner and of appropriate dimensions. These pens have an outer diameter of about 12 mm at the widest part of the barrel. The part that the ring has to slide over is about 9 mm so I need a sort of disc that's about 3 mm thick with an inner diamter of 9 mm and an outer diameter of 11 or 12 mm. I'll draw a diagram and put it in the Gallery.

I don't intend to turn this ring at all, just like you don't turn the center bands that come with SlimLine kits.

Does that make it more clear?

Julia

jtate

Okey-dokey! I just put a drawing in the photo gallery on Why Julia Needs a Goild Ring.

I hope this explains it and that it prompts someone to tell me where to find/purchase/steal/connive/appropriate my way into ownership of such a ring.

(In an alternate the called me Frodo. I don't know why.)

Julia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom