Need a new tool rest!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jxdubbs

I have a Nova Comet II, and I need a new 4" tool rest for pens. (5/8th wide post 3.23" post length max) I'm looking at the PSI pen turners ser. But I've heard a few thing like the posts are to big. Length and the width. But not on everyone's. Some just the width was a little big had to file it down. And some said the needed to cut off about 1". There other is the nova modular tool test. I'm not sure it this will be square. And the third is the 4" rockler took rest. I don't see any problems but its the most expensive. If anyone owns one of these or used one let me know what's the best one. If there's one I don't know about let me know.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LouCee

Another vote for Rick Herrell's products. I have his offset sanding jig, dedicated dial indicator holder, and several tool rests in different lengths. The quality is excellent and he'll make a tool rest in any length you want.

jxdubbs

Thanks guys. I think I'll be hitting up Rick. His name was Rick right? LOL!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rtibbs

I just bought the Rockler 4" tool rest today and love it. It has a round SS bar that the tool rests on and everything is very smooth. Not like the rough cast iron which, for me anyway, don't allow my fingers to move smoothly across the rest.
I wanted the 6" also but the store was out of stock so I ordered it online.

Ron

PS, it has a 5/8 post

Last edited:

TonyL

I own 8 of Rick's, but if you like the one that Rockler sells, I believe it is on-sale. U also have one like that and use it too.

mmayo

I have Ricks rests and tried a 4" Robust curved rest and love it too. My banjo does not extend in far enough to use Ricks round bar on my Rikon midi.

bmachin

Just a couple of thoughts with no recommendations.

This has basically no applicability to pen turning, but cast iron rests are really nice due to their ability to dampen vibration. They are also a real pain in the rear in that they are really easy to nick and must be filed frequently to keep them smooth. I believe that there may be a few out there that have tool steel rod braised, welded or epoxied onto the business edge to take care of this problem.

Round bar stock rests limit how close you can set the rest to the work. Not a problem for some (maybe most) people, but occasionally it is for me.

Robust style rests are really nicely made with a tool steel rod built into the working edge. Kind of expensive. I got in a bind and needed to shorten one. Burned through a Dremel disc or 2.

Reed Gray AKA Robo Hippy has a good video on different types of rests for bowl turners here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0uS9gj0Szs

Bill

Top Bottom