need a new lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Russianwolf

Coming to the conclusion that I'll need a new lathe to make better pieces.

I can make fairly nice pieces now, but they all seem to be slightly out of round no matter what I try. I think it all comes back to the fact that my lathe has a crack in the bed. the crack opens slightly as I apply preassure from the tailstock. I think this is my culprit.

So I'll be checking craigslist and ebay to see if there is anything locally for sale, but am eyeing he $375 range grizzly models (two of them). Does anyone on here have experience with either model, or have another recommendation in that price range?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I don't know which ones you are talking about. I just sold my full-sized G1067Z Grizzly. It gave excellent service. While at the Grizzly store picking up my new G0632 I saw some mini and midi models that are new for Griz. They looked like well made serious machines. The two smallest, and lightest models are still just way too light duty for my tastes. Do check out the others, I am a Grizzly fan. IMHO, you can't get a better tool value and their service is top notch.

England14

No doubt that you need a new lathe, but you might consider getting the one you have repaired and saving it for buffing or some sort of decitated work.

jrc

The small Grizzly is no good, a friend got one used it a week and I loaned my extra Jet mini. He got rid of the grizzly and got a Jet mini. I've had a jet mini for 6 years and still works as good as the day I got it.

Russianwolf

used is deffinitely an option, IF I can find a good one. Nothing on DC Craigslist or ebay right now

The grizzly's I'm looking at are the G0584 and G0462 (medium duty models). Very similar models. Both have variable sized pullies and rotating heads. One diff is the motor mounting (0584 goes towards the faceplate and the 0462 goes away from the faceplate). right now they are both about $375+100 shipping.

The delta and jet equivalents are $600+

I can probably get a new bed for mine for $100 or so. But when I can get a nice upgrade for a couple hundred more......

Randy_

On paper, the question seems like a no-brainer. The 462 sure seems like a lot more tool for the money. Only thing that catches my eye is the max. spindle speed is only 2400 RPMs which is probably a little slow for pen turning.

What type of lathe are you currently using?

Cast iron can be welded; but requires special equipment and skills. Depending what kind of lathe you have, a repair may not be economical.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by jrc
<br />The small Grizzly is no good, a friend got one used it a week and I loaned my extra Jet mini. He got rid of the grizzly and got a Jet mini. I've had a jet mini for 6 years and still works as good as the day I got it.

You say, "The small Grizzly..."
Which one. They have several models. As I said in my post, IMHO, the two smallest, and cheapest, are not consideration worthy. But, they have several new models of mini and midi lathes that warrant serious consideration.
I belive using one broad brush to denigrate an entire line of tools is inappropriate.

rherrell

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />On paper, the question seems like a no-brainer. The 462 sure seems like a lot more tool for the money. Only thing that catches my eye is the max. spindle speed is only 2400 RPMs which is probably a little slow for pen turning.What type of lathe are you currently using?

Cast iron can be welded; but requires special equipment and skills. Depending what kind of lathe you have, a repair may not be economical.

I never go above 2,000. Am I missing something?

Russianwolf

<br />From what I understand, that is a nice little lathe. It would probably be worth investigating further the cost of a repair.
It is. I've just found that I;m starting to play with bigger/longer pieces and she just isn't suited for them.

I'll likely call PSI to see how much a new bed will run me, if they even have them available, but I'd really like to get a larger/heavier lathe. we'll see what happens.

Rifleman1776

As far as the crack is concerned, some lathe beds are cast iron, others cast steel. The cast iron can be brazed by someone who knows what they are doing. This would make a satisfactory repair. The cast steel can be welded, again, only by someone who knows what they are doing. Worth inquiring at a local welding shop. Parts are often prohibitively expensive. Look to possible repairs first.

Russianwolf

she's Cast Iron but my concern would be alignment. If it's a hair out when it's braised, then I'd be in pretty much the same boat I'm in now. She'd have to be dead flat afterwards.

Thanks for the offer Jarhead, but that trip would probably kill it.

Russianwolf

Okay, I have $200 in commited funds so far. I figure I can likely get $100 for my old lathe, which leaves another $150 I need to come up with to get the Grizzly.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Russianwolf
<br />she's Cast Iron but my concern would be alignment. If it's a hair out when it's braised, then I'd be in pretty much the same boat I'm in now. She'd have to be dead flat afterwards.

Thanks for the offer Jarhead, but that trip would probably kill it.

Done properly it would be OK.

Russianwolf

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Mike, how far are you from Drums, PA? IIRC, Ron is selling his Jet 1236 at a good price.
360 miles round trip. $50 in gas minimum. So now we're at the delivered price of the grizzly.

I looked at it as soon as he posted. Other than the legs, looks like a nice lathe.

Russianwolf

Pulled the trigger on the G0462 today. So I won't be able to turn Large bowls with it..... no biggie for me. The high end may be a little slow, but I think she'll do fine.

Rifleman1776

<br />Pulled the trigger on the G0462 today. So I won't be able to turn Large bowls with it..... no biggie for me. The high end may be a little slow, but I think she'll do fine.

I'm sure it will serve you well. It is a powerful lathe that will handle anything you throw at it. With the brackets on the legs, you can put a plank across and lay some sand bags down there for even more weight and vibration absorbing qualities.

Randy_

<br />Pulled the trigger on the G0462 today. <b>So I won't be able to turn Large bowls with it</b>..... no biggie for me. The high end may be a little slow, but I think she'll do fine.

I'm a little puzzled by the above?? With the swivel head, you should be able to turn some pretty big bowls.....depending upon how you define big.

Russianwolf

<br />
<br />Pulled the trigger on the G0462 today. <b>So I won't be able to turn Large bowls with it</b>..... no biggie for me. The high end may be a little slow, but I think she'll do fine.

I'm a little puzzled by the above?? With the swivel head, you should be able to turn some pretty big bowls.....depending upon how you define big.
the lowest speed is 500 RPM, which most say is too fast for turning a large bowl blank that is out of round/balance to begin with. For smaller bowls 12 inches or less, it should do fine, but the 20 inchers would be scary Is what I'm gathering)

Randy_

<br />.....the lowest speed is 500 RPM, which most say is too fast for turning a large bowl blank that is out of round/balance to begin with. For smaller bowls 12 inches or less, it should do fine, but the 20 inchers would be scary Is what I'm gathering)

That information is correct.

OTOH, I would think it should be fairly easy to make up a little rig out of scrap lumber by which you could check the balance of a large blank and trim it up so it was pretty well balanced before it went on the lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom