Need new kit idea???FT American Ballpoint??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKF

I sell pens on a custom order basis, and one of the seven pens that I make is the 7mm European, and I am not crazy about it. I want to add another ball point pen in that general style....I consider it one of the styles I make that is popular for women. I would like it to be a Berea or CSUSA kit if possible, and available in SS, Plat, and Tit. Gold. Say a "Flat Top American" perhaps. Any suggestions? I know I can go on the AS and CSUSA site and navigate around, but I would like your suggestions and hear what has worked for you. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Don,
Come up with a design or modification of the slimline or euro kit. Both are highly modifiable...essentially the same kit. The sierra is might be a good selection.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by DKF
<br />I sell pens on a custom order basis, and one of the seven pens that I make is the 7mm European, and I am not crazy about it. I want to add another ball point pen in that general style....I consider it one of the styles I make that is popular for women. I would like it to be a Berea or CSUSA kit if possible, and available in SS, Plat, and Tit. Gold. Any suggestions? I know I can go on the AS and CSUSA site and navigate around, but I would like your suggestions and hear what has worked for you. Thanks!

GBusardo

I was in the same boat as you, basically. I needed a ballpoint that appeals to the women in the world and I do not like the Euro. I asked my wife and quite a few other women around town what they thought after showing some pictures. Almsot all liked the Sierra. On the plus side, you can get two pens out of one blank and it's probably the easiest pen to assemble. Downside is the platings, not sure how the 24K ubgrade gold is going to hold up.
Good luck in your quest

gerryr

As has been stated many times here, upgrade gold lasts maybe a few months or maybe only a few weeks, depending on the customer. Be prepared to replace a lot of pens if you're sold very many.

The Flattop American ballpoint is very top heavy and the transmission arrangement leaves a lot to be desired.

DKF

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />As has been stated many times here, upgrade gold lasts maybe a few months or maybe only a few weeks, depending on the customer. Be prepared to replace a lot of pens if you're sold very many.

The Flattop American ballpoint is very top heavy and the transmission arrangement leaves a lot to be desired.

Thank you for the info. regarding the Flat Top...As for the platings, I have only been making pens in Rhodium, Sterling Silver, Black Titanium, and Platinum. If I need a gold pen, I will use the gold Titanium.

Any suggestions as to a replacement for the Euro??? I don't mind it, just want to see if there is a viable replacement. Thanks.

its_virgil

Perfect Fit Convertable would be a good choice if the plagting choice is to your liking. And, there is not a good gold choicde except titanium gold. I tell customers that I will not guarantee any gold plating except TiAu since not all kits are available with TiAu.
Do a goode turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by DKF
<br />
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />As has been stated many times here, upgrade gold lasts maybe a few months or maybe only a few weeks, depending on the customer. Be prepared to replace a lot of pens if you're sold very many.

Thank you for the info. regarding the Flat Top...As for the platings, I have only been making pens in Rhodium, Sterling Silver, Black Titanium, and Platinum. If I need a gold pen, I will use the gold Titanium.

Any suggestions as to a replacement for the Euro??? I don't mind it, just want to see if there is a viable replacement. Thanks.

winpooh498

We have made both the Berea flattop Americana and the CSUSA Americana. I hate the way the Berea goes together and it is very finicky about the lower barrel size. The Americana from CS is a lot smoother for assembly, and sizing the lower barrel isn't as critical. CS also has the Americana in the Silver Bullet style, we prefer it over the regular one but make both kinds.
Hope this helps.

DaveM

I use the Berea flat top American, and I really like the kit. It is rather exacting to assemble, but when done correctly, it is a smooth kit, and has a nice feel to it. It is by far and away my most popular seller. After turning a couple, the fit just becomes second nature. (Basically, make sure there is no binding between the center band and the lower barrel)

I also like the Olympia. It is easier to turn than the European, as you just take the tenon down to brass, and the centerband and clip give it a bit more of an upscale look. The streamlines are also pretty nice. They both come in TiGold, Black Titanium, and satin, but not in Sterling Silver. I have just added these two pen styles to my sales, so I can't comment too much on them, but they have both created a buzz amongst the ladies.

Jerryconn

I agree with GerryR the flat top is top heavy and like others have said it is a little finicky to put together. If you are looking for a bigger pen for men (since you said that the Euro was a women's pen) try the cigar. It is a little heavier than the flat top but In my opinion better balanced.

Rudy Vey

I have made hundreds of FT from Berea and if all goes well together (tube length exact, square and no glue residue left in upper tube) it is a great pen, although it is top heavy. One of personal pens is a BEB in Ti Gold that I use for over 5 years now.
But now I am making quite a lot of Sierras, and this would be my next choice. This pen is equally liked by both men and women. However, my absolute favourite in ball points is the PFC - well balanced with a superb mechanism and can be easily converted into a great pencil.
The cigar was never a pen that I like and I made only 5 or so and still have 4 left - this is a very heavy pen - not my choice, though.

wayneis

Rudy's talking about the perfect Fit Convertable.

I agree on the Sierra, but I only do the Black Titanium with Gold Titanium and the Platinum with Black Titanium. I don't make any of the original Sierra's with the black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom