Need new drill press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chris Bar

Old BICO (Taiwanese vintage in '60s) has significant runout which is a major problem when drilling holes in pen blanks. Spindle nut is an oddball size (1.381 across flats) and standard 1 3/8 will not fit due to socket OD interference, so I cannot check/replace bearings.

Want a floor model with large square table with t-slots so I can anchor stuff from the top but such DPs are few, only finding a Grizzly, a Rikon and an offbrand at HF. Not sure of their runout so I don't want to find out too late they are just big hogging machines.

Steel City has high quill travel but am more concerned with accuracy, then table size, then travel. Looked at a new Delta but the tension arm shaft is anchored with only a maybe 1/16 inch diameter rivet :mad:, imminent failure point. Grizzly has what I want but will not commit, although they speak highly of their track record in low runout numbers.

Tried boring with the lathe but there are problems PM needs to address.

Any recommendations. Need asap so I can continue with Santa stuff. For a new hobby, I've overcommitted on pens and stuff. I have found a used press and currently getting transfer worked out, but cannot take a chance in case it gets sold before I get there.

BTW where are individual brad bits available in 10.5 and 12.5 mm? Found on the web but cannot find again...(maybe in one of those woodworker's dreams :biggrin:). Bought standard twist drills in these sizes from CS but I think they will tear the wood rather badly.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gcurran

Brad point bits

Chris Bar,

I was just in Woodcraft yesterday and picked up a 15mm brad point, they had a full range of metrics bits in so-so and average quality (based on price). Mostly what I do in drilling is start with a center drill and then work my way up in size -- seems to work for me, slows me down so I dont have break out issues. by the way - I do my blank drilling on the lathe.

Nick

I have a Craftsman 17" D/P and am very happy with it. It will drill almost 6" deep

I think I paid about $400 for it and during the Christmas season it may go on sale

Last edited:

gljjr

I just picked up a Jet JDP-17MF off of Craigslist. I haven't measured the runout on it but I can tell you it is small enough that it isn't visible to the naked eye. Great thing about it is a came with a wonderful wood working table with several T-Slots and a mobile base.

This drill press has 4 3/8" of spindle travel. I would highly recommend one if you can afford it. I got mine for less than half of the normal street price for a new one!

Chris Bar

Thanks, will check CL again and perhaps check Sears. Guess most folks are using the lathe or secret hole makers.:rolleyes:

stolicky

I only have a small 10" craftsman DP.

- You could build a larger table on a dp if you like.
- I bought my 10.5 & 12.5 mm bits from CSUSA, but they are not brads.

IPD_Mrs

We have two. One is a Jet JDP-17MF 16-1/2'' Floor Drill Press. It nice and gets a ton of work. Our other press is a Craftsman Pro model 17".

I have not been much of a Craftsman fan but when Sears screwed up and listed it for $179 last year (reg price is like $599) I could not resist. I think I like it better than our Jet other than the key less chuck as I have not got use to it yet. Seems to be a little less run out on the Craftsman but the Jet is about three years old and get a heavy work out for up to four hours at a time with a rosette cutter.

I would like to try the Powermatic VS but $1100 is a little steep for me.

Mike

I have no suggestions... I would love to have a good floor model with a long quill travel, but for now I have my HF table top that does most of what I need... seems to be running true with little wobble. Plus I have taken to drilling my pen blanks, game call blanks and peppermills on the lathe... more power and I get a truer center.

MikeMcM1956

If you have a HF near you, go check out their press. You could even measure the runout on the floor model, they sell everything needed to do so and you could just 'borrow' it to check. Heck, you could even setup one right out of the box and check it. What are you expecting for runout?

HF stuff isn't great, but there are good deals to be had of you know what you're looking for. Craigslist is also another good option. If you don't have a dial indicator and magnetic base, you can get them from HF for under $25.

I'm spoiled, I just finished refurbishing a 1949 Delta 14" drill press that belonged to my Dad and Grandad. Built like a tank, drills through anything, runout of .003 :biggrin:....

Mike

Last edited:

Chris Bar

Thanks, was looking at HF too and one there looks promising. I remember the Sears deal...I was too late but enjoyed the good fortunes of some and glad some picked one up. The Jet is nice but particularly like the 6 inch quill travel on the Steel City for when it is needed. Again thanks for suggestions.

Top Bottom