Need mother of pearl fountain pen kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Freethinker

Hi fellas;

Does anyone know of a vendor selling a Mother of Pearl Gold Fountain Pen kit besides the El Grande kit that Berea sells? (Bill at AS is sold out)

I recently had one commissioned, and made the Mother of Pearl El Grande, and the guy was well pleased......but the El Grande is a little disappointingly "plasticky" looking and feeling to me.........and I also do not want a single barrel kit like the Sierra/Carbara/Patriot/etc.

I have some more prospective orders for these, but would much rather do one in the Gentleman or Majestic or Jr. Statesman kit, or even in a Baron if that's all that's available. Just something with a classier, more expensive, more substantial look and feel than the El Grande.

Maybe someone has just the blanks tubed for the Gentleman or Jr. Statesman or Jr. Retro. Anyone know the whereabouts?

Thanks in advance for a lead.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

igran7

I haven't seen one in a Gentlemen's or any of dayacom kits. The Baron or Woodcraft's version the Navigator is probably the best your gonna get other than the El Grande. Good luck.

Randy_

You could check with Ed and Dawn. I think they do them on a "special" basis". You could probably get a barrel for just about any kit you wanted. I'm guessing they might cost a little more than the Berea kits; but let me not speculate. Just contact them and see what they can do for you.

KenV

Bill has the MOP in bright copper only as the Baron. Berea has the El Grande MOP. My wife has the Abalone El Grande and is quite pleased with it. She had a choice between that and a baron and went for the El Grande. Might think about parking your preferences in favor of what make the users pleased. My wife likes the light feel for large presence in her hand with the El Grande.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As Randy says, Dawn can make any size pen in the MOP or Paua shell. But, at the moment, we are experiencing growing pains. The orders for regular PR are keeping her up all night a couple nights a week. So, special orders ARE suffering in their delivery schedule.

BELIEVE ME, she is making every effort to establish an inventory. EVERY night SOME blanks are made. We are keeping up to the orders for "normal" products, but we still have a kitchen full of snakes (they take more time and you have to be AWAKE to make them RIGHT).

So, YES, she CAN make ANY blank with shell and she has the material in stock. BUT delivery is a problem, right now. This too shall pass as we grow!! Keep her in mind for your Fall Show needs.

mick

Dan, if time's a problem and you can't wait on Dawn, WoodCraft sells the Tropical series in the Baron...or their name for it is the Navigator. I'm just not sure if they have a FP. I do know they carry the rollerball. If you had other Baron FP nibs you could just swap it out.

Freethinker

Thanks for all the replies and the help, guys.

I checked at Woodcraft, and they didn't have what i'm looking for.

And it sounds like waiting for one from Dawn may take a while.....i think I'll try a couple of the bright copper Barons (from As) that were mentioned.

Might think about parking your preferences in favor of what make the users pleased. My wife likes the light feel for large presence in her hand with the El Grande.

I assure you I am attentive to what the customer wants......but just because the one fellow was pleased with the El Grande doesn't mean he wouldn't have liked a Stateman better.......nor does it mean that everyone would prefer the El Grande.

I'd hazard a guess that if you polled a hundred people at random, the majority would say a Jr Gent or a Retro strikes them as being a more classy and expensive pen than an El Grande.

THAT is why I am looking for a kit other than the EG......because I think the average customer looking for a fountain pen will be more pleased with a Retro or a Gent, etc.

YMMV.

Top Bottom