Need a little info, advice on my new Jet 1442

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

I just bought this lathe from Fred in NC. and it is like heaven compared to what I had, but I need a little help. I turn pens on it since I don't have the luxury of a small lathe for that. Question- the tool rest that came with it is a 12 incher and that is a bit long to get in closse to a turned pen. I am having lots of trouble finding a 6 incher, with a 1" post. I have one that is 3/4 and I can use it but the total length is so long it will not let me get below the centerline of the lathe with a gouge. Does anyone who uses a Jet 1442 have a 6 inch tool rest and if so, where do I find one. I sure could use some help with this. The only ones I have seen in my catalogs or 3/4 inch or are to long overall. Thanks for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Try this link out. Seems they have a 4" and a 6". Plus they have an 800 number! http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=46-936

G

Theres a guy on the woodnet forum who will make any rest you want for around 25 bucks.
Also try a Google search and contact JET directly they are good about replacement part.

Doghouse

I use the woodcraft lathe rest. It is 4,6,4 bowl, and 8 bowl. It works great, but the straight ones must be filed slightly to flatten the edge. It is nice to be able to just change the top and keep the same post locked in.

jimr

I was sure it was you, Fred. I distinctly remember you flying off in your gray F-150 sleigh pulled by 8 tiny turned reindeer!

Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />Jim: I did not sell you a lathe! Must have been that other guy up north!

Well, congratulations are in order anyway, enjoy !!!

Scott

Hi Jim,

There are a lot of really good aftermarket tool rests out there. I like one called the KISS tool rest, which is now made by Keith Outten, the site owner over at Sawmill Creek. I bought mine from the originator (who later sold the design to Keith), and it is a pleasure to use! I should probably go take a picture of it so you can see what I mean.

One thing you want to watch for, as you've realized, is the length of the post, not just how big around it is. A sure way to get a tool rest that fits is to call Jet and buy one from them.

And just to tell a funny little story, I had just bought my new Oneway 1224 lathe, and I noticed right off the bat that the tool rest was too long for use in turning pens. The owner of the Oneway company happened to be right there, so I asked him if a shorter tool rest was available. He looked at me kind of funny, and said "Just cut it off!"

BTW, I just couldn't bring myself to cut off my tool rest! ;-) But I do highly recomment the KISS tool rests.

Scott.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Why not make your own??

Use a piece of 3/4" hard Maple for the rest and a 1" dowel for the post. Shape the top with a 1/2-round router bit if you have one, or with a block plane if you don't. A pocket knife and sandpaper will do it if you aren't in a hurry.

Or, you can cut a groove in the top for a length of Mild Steel from the rack at the Home Depot. Use a piece of music wire if you want to be high-tech. Hold it in with epoxy, JB-Weld is preferred.

If you want a more durable post, you can find a threaded pipe nipple in the plumbing department at the Home Depot, that is "close enough".

For about 1/2 the price of a commercial tool rest, you will have enough material to make 6 tool rests. And you will be surprized how long these home-made ones will last. Keep the sharp edges and parting tools away from a rest with a bare wood working surface .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom