Need a little critique on some pyrography

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Been huffing smoke for a little while tonight, needed a break from the web development. Man am I rusty at that! Got the server set up right finally, but now that it's time to start designing, my brain hurts, so off to the shop I went!

This is one of my box elder blanks that I double-dyed purple and teal. The blank had a really dark knothole running all the way through the nib end that I thought would look way cooler than it actually did when I got it turned, so I eyeballed my cheapie wood burner and went hmmmmm...

There's two viney-plant things, originating on either side of the blank where the knot is.

I'm considering applying gold leaf to bottom of the burn marks leaving the dark around the edges, what do you guys think? The burn is kinda dark running through the purple.

Any advice on burning is always appreciated! You can see the knotholes at the 'root ball' of the little plant thing. I'm going to build up a CA finish when I'm done, so I over turned it to compensate.

First person to say 'Good job nice pen' gets bonked! Save that for the other section, I want honest opinions on color and design! [:p]

Thanks!

Pyro1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Consider me "bonked", nice pen,eh:D I do like the fine pyrography work but I would not use the gold leaf surround. I like the "raw" look on the pen as is and feel that the gold leaf may give too much of a sophisticated look around the "wildness" of the vines. Sometimes less is more.

-Peter-:)

doddman70

I like the color of the blank i think you have a good combo there. the burning looks real good also. what kind of kit are you doing? that might have some bearing on wether or not to fill it. regardless i would probably go with the inlay myself i think the gold leaf would really set it off with the colors of the blank. just my opion:D

follow3

Hey Karl,

Bonk me or not. I like the pen and the dye job, but I am on the fence about the pyrography. I think it would have looked better if you made the vine wrap around the barrel in a spiral fasion. But that is just my personal opinion. On the other hand, I am totaly impressed with the double dye job and would really appreciate any details you could give on the products and procedure you used.

Good job, keep turnin and burnin!!
Steve

GoodTurns

Good pen, nice job, he says, cleverly avoiding any untoward bonking!

Great colors, made me think of Starry Starry Night (Van Gogh), just needs a splash of yellow (NOT GOLD). I wouldn't change a thing on the pyro work...looks like a tree at night...kind like if you held a tree up in front of Starry Starry Night (Van Gogh)...

I would think a Black TI kit would work with it and add an additional accent to the pyro.

Seal It and Sell It!

bitshird

Going all over the place Karl, I think the gold would add some extra dimension to the pyro work, but like you said just at the bottom, , nice veining, looks real nice,
It should make an awesome pen when finished, I also like the colors, I think a balck TI kit.

karlkuehn

Banned
Thanks guys! Bonks all around, by the way.

I like what you said, Jon, a tree at night. I'll use that!

I also agree with Steve, wrapping would have looked better. I'll try that on the next one.

Okay, so no on the gold leaf, I'll just coat it and go! I'm going to cross my fingers for bubble-less results. I hate trying to fill in those things with Ca without having issues.

I'm going to have to get a better wood burner if I'm going to keep this up, that big plastic sucker's a pain.

Thanks a lot guys! :)

Karl -

Is there some reason why you're not showing us the rest of the pen? It's kind of hard to comment when it's taken out of context. It's also kind of hard to comment when the critic is color blind.

Those handicaps aside, what I see is folk art. If you see the same thing, then I think the plating options narrow significantly.

(NOTE: Not once did I say "Good job nice pen." Remember who your friends are. But, I do like it.)

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2

Is there some reason why you're not showing us the rest of the pen?

Oh! I forgot to mention that it's a Carbera blank! Hard to tell from the picture that's it not just one side of a slimline or something.

The whole 'Starry Night' thing makes sense now! I don't know what I'd do with anything yellow, though. I'm going to have to break out my acrylics, I guess and play some more. :D

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by R2

That is VBG!!:):)[^] Hope the lasering doesn't crack the blank.

:D Laser!?

What kind of operation you think I'm running over here? Laser, he says...sheesh! [:p]

Back in the day we didn't have lasers, you know, we had to use magnifying glasses! In the snow...uphill...yaddadaddy... heh

*pulls out his bonker and eyes the smart alecks*

Okay, who else wants a little? :(:D

Hello

Hey Karl,

Honest opinion. If it weren't for the burning, and the potential of some gold leaf in some of the design, I wouldn't like the pen at all. I think you've really got something with your vine design idea! I might recommend (if you choose to domore) using a different tip and a higher tempreature to be able to have a little more control over your design making. Burning with a cheap wood burner can end up looking a little like an 8yr olds drawing - yours doesn't officially look like a kids artwork, but it does have that essence. It appears to me that you've either done a bit of wood burning or maybe charcoal drawing in the past. Anyway, with the burning, and the gold leaf, I'd definitely consider the pen more than great craftsmanship; it would be art work.

great12b4ever

Karl,

IMHO, I don't think the gold leaf would look right. Have you considered using some of the Mica powders and CA glue to partially fill the pyro work? You could use a shade of green with a little yellow mixed with it to give somewhat of a leaf/stem look. The Mica Powders also have some pearlescent look which could really dress up the pen without cheapening it with large flake glitter. I think that would look better than the gold leaf. If you still wanted the tree in the night look, use the darker green and less of the yellow highlights, maybe some pale yellow to purple tinted white highlights to make one think of moonlight glittering on the leaves and stems. Just my 2 cents

Other than that, nice beginning, now finish it.

ldb2000

Hi Karl
The vines look great on that blank dont change a thing ..adding the gold might add some sparkle but I think it would take away something from the overall look.
Ok I cant help myself....It looks great to me....:D:D:D

FWIW, Love the idea... hate the root ball/knot

What if you filled in the leaves and vines with gold leaf or something?

I'm considering applying gold leaf to bottom of the burn marks leaving the dark around the edges, what do you guys think? The burn is kinda dark running through the purple.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, do mean fill in the burn marks? If so, we're on the same page.

Top Bottom