Need kit suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

I need advice on a kit - so i dont actually have to do this trial and error.

What I am looking for is a high quality 2 tube twist pen kit in 8mm that uses parker refills.

Something with good platings and good tranmissions and has the versatility to take lots of modifications.

The slimline has the versatility, but is IMO very low quality and doesnt use the parker refills.

Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

What I am looking for is a high quality 2 tube twist pen kit in 8mm that uses parker refills.

Something with good platings and good tranmissions and has the versatility to take lots of modifications.

The slimline has the versatility, but is IMO very low quality and doesnt use the parker refills.

Any suggestions?
Cigar would fit the bill I believe.

soligen

I checked out the hart from WC. It's decent, but not has high end as I would like. Why is is that high end kits are larger pens. What is wrong with a thin high end pen?? I would think there would be low and high end kits in all size categories, but not so.

Not a 10mm cigar just becasue I perfer a smaller pen, and I like the platinum and black titanium platings the best, and want a parker refill.

The motivation here is to make a pen for myself, and make it as high end as possible. All the nicest pens I've made been for others, and I've been carring the pens that didnt quite come out right. I decided I need to carry the best pen I can make to show off my capability to people who might want a pen. I'm not actively marketing, so people seeing what I'm doing is the only way I will sell any pens. Also, I want this high end pen to be the size I perfer as it will be my daily carry pen. I also perfer the nib sections to be smooth, as opposed the detailing on the cigar nib sections.

Last edited:

lazyguy

The Jr Gent ballpoint from CSUSA is ever so slightly thinner than the cigar not much but it is the nicest 2 barrel kit I know and it can be found in Rhodium. The Americana also has a variety of platings and can make a very high-end look.

zig613

Dennis...

Have you looked at the Americana Bullet kit that LauLau Woodworks sell (Arron here on IAP)? It comes in titanium gold ($6.90) and rhodium plating ($9.70) https://www.laulauwood.net/node/23.

I put in an Easyflow 8000 parker style refill and modified the lower barrel slightly (larger diameter). Great quality kit that is smaller than the cigar.

Craft Supplies carries the same kit but call it "Silver Bullet" and have black titanium on sale http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Closeout___Silver_Bullet_Pen_Kit___bullet_pen?Args=

soligen

I like the Americana kit, except the clip. I actually have a personal grudge against that style clip. I'm assuming it is formed the same way as the same style clip available on some PSI pens. On these clips the ball is formed by bending the metal around, and the "seems" are on the underside of the ball. If the clip is a solid mass (not press formed) then I want it. But, i will never buy a clip with a formed ball again. I've had one shirt ruined by a snagged thread from one of these clips, and I only carried it for a few days.

Not taking anything out on you zig, just stating my issue, because if the clip is different, I would really like that kit. But right now my assumption is that is is essentially the same clip I got from PSI, with a different plating.

Jim Smith

If you think that the Jr. Gent will work for you, you might also want to consider the Jr. Statesman since they're basically the same size. They are very nice kits with excellent platings. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

ldb2000

Why not just go kitless . You will have the flexibility to use whatever transmission you want and can design your own furniture you would like . Brass and Aluminum turn very easily and can be polished to a very high shine then powder coated or if you use brass can be plated with silver or gold by any jeweler for a fee .

Crickett

If you think that the Jr. Gent will work for you, you might also want to consider the Jr. Statesman since they're basically the same size. They are very nice kits with excellent platings. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

The Jr. Statesman in 22k/Rhodium would be my choice for a high-end classy kit that's not too big.

Marla

zig613

Hi Dennis...

Your assumption is correct regarding the round ball at the end of the clip. It is formed similar to those of the PSI fancy slimline however, the clip is made of considerably heavy material and press fit (seam) is tighter.

Some like the ball on the end of the clip... some don't. That is why there are just a few other pen styles out on the market.

As noted in another post you may want to try the JR Gent ballpoint. They are just a little smaller then the cigar. Too large for an every day for me. Good luck with your hunt and let us know what you decide on.

Wade

fernhills

I had some Euro Kits in 8mm with a parker refill. I think PSI calls them their Premium Euro designer kit if they still have them. Very nice pen, i don`t know why i never ordered more.

soligen

Arron has some very interesting stuff. So right now its between the Jr Gent, Jr Statesman, Neopean or Premium Euro Designer.

Now, where did I put that coin to flip LOL. I want to make them all!

Butch, I thought about kitless, but right now I perfer not to make a nib section or clip. The nib is probably within my capabilities, but I would like a better clip than I think I could make.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Any suggestions?

Well you can get slimlines in about as good a quality finish as you'd ever want PSI has them in black titanium, Gold Titanium and Rhodium. I personally carry a comfort style (slimline with a bigger diameter centerband) in Rhodium. They don't use parker style refills but you can get very good cross refills for them...actually the refills that come with them aren't bad.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
clips

I like the Americana kit, except the clip. I actually have a personal grudge against that style clip. I'm assuming it is formed the same way as the same style clip available on some PSI pens. On these clips the ball is formed by bending the metal around, and the "seems" are on the underside of the ball. If the clip is a solid mass (not press formed) then I want it. But, i will never buy a clip with a formed ball again. I've had one shirt ruined by a snagged thread from one of these clips, and I only carried it for a few days.

Not taking anything out on you zig, just stating my issue, because if the clip is different, I would really like that kit. But right now my assumption is that is is essentially the same clip I got from PSI, with a different plating.
Well you can probably find someone who sells just clips if you want a differnt style....you really have a ton of options to do what you want to do.

soligen

I ordered the premium designer. It got picked simply becasue I had to make an order from PSI anyway for a freind, so I tacked it on. Had a $5 coupon code, so it was basically free.

looks like the kit changed somewhat from what Butch posted - split clip now.

I think I will get around to the others kits too. No sure which one will end up being mine.

Smitty, to be honest, I dont really trust the slim transmissions. I've had some be kinda flakey.

Why way I work, I make up for my inexperience and lack of skill by taking much more time than you guys on making a pen. If I put 5 hours (or more) into a pen, I have a hard time using a 2-3 dollar kit. That amount of effort deserves better hardware. At least that is my logic. Some people talk about making a pen in 1/2 hour. I would need a time machine to even come close to that.

It's a good thing profit is not my motivation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom