Need Kit Suggestion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doug34

Ok....first timer here....so this is most likely in the wrong area...maybe some can point me in the right area.....have a friend who has started a new business ......he found out I make pens and want me to make him some.....so have done some research.....I have bought the resin for use ...now am tring to select a pen to start on......would like to get a starter kit so I can get the drill bit and bushings.....so there it is ....the pen type.....have looked at a few....gatsby....executive ....but just can't decide....also want to match the pen tube to the sticker that need to be placed on it with the company name.....any help would be great.....of course I'll need more as the project continues....but this seems to be the hardest part so far....Sierra is another I have seen...but can't seem to find it in any of the major companies thanks for your patience

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Ok....first timer here....so this is most likely in the wrong area...maybe some can point me in the right area.....have a friend who has started a new business ......he found out I make pens and want me to make him some.....so have done some research.....I have bought the resin for use ...now am tring to select a pen to start on......would like to get a starter kit so I can get the drill bit and bushings.....so there it is ....the pen type.....have looked at a few....gatsby....executive ....but just can't decide....also want to match the pen tube to the sticker that need to be placed on it with the company name.....any help would be great.....of course I'll need more as the project continues....but this seems to be the hardest part so far....Sierra is another I have seen...but can't seem to find it in any of the major companies thanks for your patience

Welcome! You've sort of hi-jacked a thread on another topic (and it may get moved), but yes, the Gatsby and other Sierra type pens would be my choice. For Sierra's go to Exotic Blanks. Sierra's are very easy to turn (one blank) and are very forgiving to beginners. They also look classy and work well. Just MHO, of course.

I assume you're using PR, so you'll need a mold, I suggest you go here for one: http://www.ptownsubbie.com/

Bushings and drill bits (if you're casting, you don't even need a drill bit) are available from most any vendor, including the aforementioned Exotic Blanks.

That's really about all you'll need, other than your usual pen turning equipment, of course.

Regards,
Michael

Last edited:

Doug34

Thanks for the input......I did find a set of Sierra pin kits....they were 44 for 10 of them but the site you listed were less than the individual pens on that site......yea duh.....forgot I would not need a drill bit if I'm casting stuff....you have saved me money already because I would have bought one.....the casting molds I have looked at....but I was thinking for my first few times doing a plug and standoff in a small tub.....then knocking the stuff all out....I have some bbs from the kids air rifles....stickers is the next thing I need to check on.....as I am traveling away from home I only get to work on this on the weekend.....hopefully all the stuff will get there this week and I can play on Saturday if the heat doesn't run me indoors....lol....thanks for the input and I will keep you updated on my progress....ps ....love the pic

MTViper

Doug,

What kind of business is your friend in? That may make a difference in what pen kit I'd recommend. My youngest son opened a Liberty Tax Service this winter and I've made him a slew of Statue of Liberty Bolt Action pens (PSI).

Steve

Doug34

Electrician.....and he want a pen with his name on it for right now....I can see maybe a circuit board one maybe later on

mecompco

Electrician.....and he want a pen with his name on it for right now....I can see maybe a circuit board one maybe later on

A number of ways to do that--label casting as you have already brought up. You can also apply a water-slide style label and do a CA finish over it. Or, you can laser engrave a name on a wooden pen blank fairly inexpensively.

I suppose one could apply a label to a circuit board blank--not sure how it would come out. Plus, circuit board blanks are fairly pricey.

Regards,
Michael

corgicoupe

If you want to do a few fountain pens, I would suggest the Jr Gent II. It's got minimal parts, and make a fine pen. The non-posting is preferable for it's compact size.

Doug34

ok...long time since I posted....did a number of pens for my friend and he loves them....now looking into problems....it seems the white in the background could be better......I have gone to painting the blank before putting the label on the tube....but still it seems in some instances the white does bleed off......and am leery of doing color in the background....so looking for suggestions to help that.....was having a problem with bubbles....it seems yo have subsided with me slowing down the mix rate .....and will post pics

Top Bottom