Need kit recommendations for newbie please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluesguitar

I've been turning pens for about six months and have done about 25 pens. I'm happy with the woodturning results and have learned by trial and error and watching lots of Youtube videos.

I've been using kits from Penn State Industries and I'm not always happy with the quality of the hardware. One exception is their "Sculptured" line, and I'd like to find other kits with that kind of heavier, higher quality compoenentry. I've also done their cigar pens and the "Graduate" line, which is a little better.

I've looked at kits on other sites but they look like the exact same ones as the PSI kits.

I'm mainly doing twist mechanism ballpoints. I don't want to spend a fortune on each kit, but the $10-15 range would be OK.

Could any of you recommend a source for higher quality twist mechanism ballpoint kits? Or is PSI the main manufacturer and others just re-selling the same stuff?

Thanks so much,

Mitch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sorry, as a vendor, I can't name names.

But, I can tell you the pens that look alike are not identical. Particularly the "Big Ben" is not identical to the Cigar---nor are all cigars identical to each other.

My BEST advice, Buy ONE or TWO from a vendor and make your own judgment--or PM me asking for the information and I will respond with additional info, by PM or email, which is permitted if you request it.

IPD_Mr

Personally I like the elegant beauties and the aeros for a one peice ballpoint. I also saw where someone took the old style silver bullet pen and reworked the nosecone section. It no longers has a ring around it. Much better looking design, but have not held one.

RogerH

Hi Mitch:

I'm a relative newbie, especially for this site, having done only a couple hundred pens in the last year and a half. I saw that nobody else answered, so I'll give you my opinions, though there are others on here better qualified.

There are about five main seller/manufacturers that I know of: Penn State, Berea, Rockler, Woodcraft and Dyacom. I started out with Woodcraft and Rockler, because they each have a store in suburban Chicago where I live. I still buy some of their stuff, and I think the quality is very good, though they are not the cheapest. Then, I found Penn State, and I still use them for some stuff, though I have my issues with them. I agree that some of their stuff isn't of the highest quality.

IMHO, Berea and Dyacom are generally higher quality than PSI and about the same as Rockler and Woodcraft. Also, Berea and Dyacom are generally a bit more expensive than PSI in my experience, but cheaper than Rockler and Woodcraft. There are lots of resellers for all five-for instance you may have seen that a place called Woodturningz that is often mentioned on here sells PSI stuff. I buy some stuff from a reseller that sells primarily Dyacom, but they also stock some stuff that Woodcraft sells. A lot of inbreeding in kit pen sales.

There are also a number of member of IAP that are pen resellers, and one guy who makes his own, high quality American pens. Finally, there is a guy on here from Australia that sells kits that I've made and they are good as well.

Google the four names I mentioned other than Penn State, and I think you will find a lot of places to shop. We all have our favorites, so you will just have to shop and see which stocks the kits you like, at the prices you find most attractive, and ships quickly enough to satisfy you.

Like I said, I have some issues with PSI, but I continue to buy their Majestic line of pens because I think they are of very good quality at a fair price. If you want a classy ball point, the Majestic Squire they sell is beautiful.

Anyway, if you want more of my opinions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck.

Roger

Joe Burns

Ive only been turning pens since the summer and still consider myself a green newbie. Ive had very good luck with Berea Hardwoods and Craft Supplies USA. Wanting to branch out and try ordering from members of this site also.

The Sierra Elegant Beauty is a high quality beautify pen kit from Berea that is in the price range you are looking at. Its a very simple pen to turn and make. Paired with a good blank they will attract a lot of attention. Wish i would have started with these instead of slim lines.

Im presently turning a few Jr. Gentlemen IIs from Craft Supplies for Christmas presents. I may be wrong but I believe their pens are Dyacom except for their Apprentice line.

Joe Burns

Roos85

I looked up Dayacom... interested for myself as well. Is it just me or does it seem like the sell pen kits by the 100's and 50's and stuff... It appeared to maybe be from overseas somewhere. Maybe I am looking at the wrong website.

Rick P

I honestly don't think there is much if any difference from kit to kit in difficulty of turning. The easiest to modify and most versatile by far is a plain old slimm.......can not believe I just said that but it is true.

For single tube pens I really like the sierra line.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Rockler

Hi Mitch:

I'm a relative newbie, especially for this site, having done only a couple hundred pens in the last year and a half. I saw that nobody else answered, so I'll give you my opinions, though there are others on here better qualified.

There are about five main seller/manufacturers that I know of: Penn State, Berea, Rockler, Woodcraft and Dyacom. I started out with Woodcraft and Rockler, because they each have a store in suburban Chicago where I live. I still buy some of their stuff, and I think the quality is very good, though they are not the cheapest. Then, I found Penn State, and I still use them for some stuff, though I have my issues with them. I agree that some of their stuff isn't of the highest quality.

IMHO, Berea and Dyacom are generally higher quality than PSI and about the same as Rockler and Woodcraft. Also, Berea and Dyacom are generally a bit more expensive than PSI in my experience, but cheaper than Rockler and Woodcraft. There are lots of resellers for all five-for instance you may have seen that a place called Woodturningz that is often mentioned on here sells PSI stuff. I buy some stuff from a reseller that sells primarily Dyacom, but they also stock some stuff that Woodcraft sells. A lot of inbreeding in kit pen sales.

There are also a number of member of IAP that are pen resellers, and one guy who makes his own, high quality American pens. Finally, there is a guy on here from Australia that sells kits that I've made and they are good as well.

Google the four names I mentioned other than Penn State, and I think you will find a lot of places to shop. We all have our favorites, so you will just have to shop and see which stocks the kits you like, at the prices you find most attractive, and ships quickly enough to satisfy you.

Like I said, I have some issues with PSI, but I continue to buy their Majestic line of pens because I think they are of very good quality at a fair price. If you want a classy ball point, the Majestic Squire they sell is beautiful.

Anyway, if you want more of my opinions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck.

Roger
Berea and Dayacom are the only two of those that are actually manufacturers. Woodcraft, PSI and Rockler all use OEM's to manufacture their products. CSUSA is as big or bigger seller of kits than any of those you mentioned === they also use several OEM (including Dayacom) to make a their kits.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Some

I looked up Dayacom... interested for myself as well. Is it just me or does it seem like the sell pen kits by the 100's and 50's and stuff... It appeared to maybe be from overseas somewhere. Maybe I am looking at the wrong website.
Dayacom is primarily a manufacturer/wholesaler they have limited retail sales of a few of their kits most high end kits have a minimum order quantity of 30. They have some lower priced unbranded kits for sale at retail also the MOQ for most of them is 100.

Jim Burr

Banned
I've notice a difference in the quality of the "same kit" from different vendors. Company A's Sierra style is different in quality from Company B's Sierra style. Plating material makes a huge difference.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Berea and Dayacom are the only two of those that are actually manufacturers. Woodcraft, PSI and Rockler all use OEM's to manufacture their products. CSUSA is as big or bigger seller of kits than any of those you mentioned === they also use several OEM (including Dayacom) to make a their kits.

Because Berea makes the kits for Woodcraft, who has 500 retail outlets, I would bet on Berea as the largest of the "manufacturers".

Also the sierra style are made by many different sources, they are NOT all equivalent in quality.

76winger

I agree with what's been said about Sierra models so far. Gatsby and Majestic Squire from from PSI is the same class of pen although the later is much fancier version. Aero models are pretty nice too, but use a smaller tube than the Sierra class pens.

One of the PSI line that I like real well for single tube that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Executive line. Good looking heavy pen and easy to make. I'm not sure if there's any equivalents from the other sellers or not.

bluesguitar

I guess that's what is so frustrating -- to the uninitiated the kits look the same in the catalogs and online. So it's hard to tell even after seeing the kit-- you really don't know until the pen is done.

I've picked up that the plating is a hint with the titanium and rhodium being better and associated with a higher quality kit.

Mitch

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Maybe

I guess that's what is so frustrating -- to the uninitiated the kits look the same in the catalogs and online. So it's hard to tell even after seeing the kit-- you really don't know until the pen is done.

I've picked up that the plating is a hint with the titanium and rhodium being better and associated with a higher quality kit.

Mitch
Both Black and Gold Titanium wear well. Rrhodium will also wear well and might be marginally better than chrome but it is marginal. Black Chrome will also wear well. Someone said the the sound of Rhodium has more selling pazazz than Chrome.

All of the other platings from any manufacturer will have about the same wear characteristics but some manufacturers might apply them a little thicker which to a degree will improve wear.

Tom D

I have had good luck with Timberbits from Australia, Shipping is actually less than from penn state. However it can take up to 10 days to get your kits. good prices on the kits to.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Could be

Because Berea makes the kits for Woodcraft, who has 500 retail outlets, I would bet on Berea as the largest of the "manufacturers".

Also the sierra style are made by many different sources, they are NOT all equivalent in quality.
I should have said "retailer" rather than "seller" although they will happily sell wholesale quantities if they have sufficient stock.

Berea might be the largest of the manufacturers. Since they are an OEM as well as a retailer and have a number of resellers it wouldn't surprise me if they are.

My point was only that 3 of the 5 companies that the OP thought were manufacturers are not. That means they can change OEMs at their own discretion and this year's manufacturer might not be next years and they are under no obligation to tell anyone if they change.

Top Bottom