Need input on desk pen design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allenworsham

Ok, I seem to have the closed end thing working ok...for the most part, but the end is still out of round. Not as much as before, but still out of round and it is visually amplified when coming down to a point. My other option, since this is an elongated Comfot Pen, would be to have the end turned down to fit the finial of the Comfort Pen without the clip.

Here are 2 photos of a practice pen made from hickory. There is no finish on it or center band as I am just looking at proportions. The actual pens will be made from cocobolo in a gold ti finish using the stock center band. The pen by itself is 6 1/4" long tip to tip. The pen in the funnel is 7 3/4" long base to tip.

So any suggestions or ideas to help me out with this?

2008416235451_Desk%20Pen-small.jpg

2008416235534_Funnel-small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Allen,
I like the general shape. A little longer would be OK too. I like the thin tapered shape you have come up with. Watch the upper thickness. It may be because there is no CB, but it looks like it is ever so slightly competing with the lower section. you don't want the upper to over take the lower, it should taper thinner because it's longer. Could just be me.
Over all, very good shape. Nice taper. Good job.

allenworsham

Originally posted by stevers

Allen,
I like the general shape. A little longer would be OK too. I like the thin tapered shape you have come up with. Watch the upper thickness. It may be because there is no CB, but it looks like it is ever so slightly competing with the lower section. you don't want the upper to over take the lower, it should taper thinner because it's longer. Could just be me.
Over all, very good shape. Nice taper. Good job.

I took the photos and then remembered that I did have a Comfort Pen on the dresser, so I pulled off the center band put it in. It looks good with the CB and the two ends are within a few 100th's" of each other but just look different in the photo. I think that going a bit longer will look better as well and will better match the overall shape of the pen while it is in the funnel. After all,a desk pen set is more for show than regular use so I want it balanced.

Top Bottom