Need ideas for San Antonio pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cestmoi

My dad has always wanted to visit San Antonio and several years ago I took him and my mom there on vacation as a special gift. He hadn't been on a plane since he served in the military during the Korean War. We went again a couple of years later because he LOVES San Antonio so much. Naturally, now he wants to go again. :) I'd like to make him a special pen for his birthday with wood that is significant to San Antonio. Any suggestions for what I should use and where to get the blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmiles1985

I would say that mesquite will be your best bet for something reminiscent of south/central Texas. Or, if you do any casting, you could find some good San Antonio propaganda online to print and cast on a tube. I don't know of anyone selling mesquite. I am working on finding a local source. I also have several mesquite boards in the garage and could cut some into blanks this weekend. PM me if that helps at all.

After all, anyone that loves Texas that much, and served our country, deserves something special!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Now if one of our cnc or laser etching masters could put an image of the Alamo on a pecan or mesquite blank for you, that would make the ultimate unique San Antonio pen.

You might check with Exotic Blanks or Classic Nib to see if such a thing might be possible.

flyitfast

I agree on Mesquite or Texas Pecan. I've got a couple of mesquite blanks and also have a source for pecan. Be happy to send some if you want. The mesquite would be from right here in San Antonio.
gordon

cestmoi

I love all these ideas! I think he would be thrilled if I could tell him that the wood came right from San Antonio. He's just nuts for that city--even checks the weather report for SA everyday in the newspaper. We visited the hill country on both of our trips and tasted some genuine Texas pecans that were all over the ground at LBJ's ranch, so pecan would also be special. I like the idea of segmenting both woods, but am quite sure that my beginner skills are not up to the challenge.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I love all these ideas! I think he would be thrilled if I could tell him that the wood came right from San Antonio. He's just nuts for that city--even checks the weather report for SA everyday in the newspaper. We visited the hill country on both of our trips and tasted some genuine Texas pecans that were all over the ground at LBJ's ranch, so pecan would also be special. I like the idea of segmenting both woods, but am quite sure that my beginner skills are not up to the challenge.

I'm thinking rollerball with pecan on one barrel & mesquite on the other might be fun. It's on my list of things to try soon.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hmmmm..
I believe the trees on the grounds of the Alamo are mostly live oaks.

True, and none of them were around in 1836. The largest & oldest one was transplanted there as a quite large tree in the early 1900s.

There used to be a cottonwood tree on Menger Hotel property that was around in 1836, but I don't know if it's still living or not.

Pecan is a good choice since it's the state tree. Mesquite is a good choice because it's plentiful in Texas. While not unique to the state, they are both native & plentiful within the state. Live oaks are a dime a dozen most anywhere.

Last edited:

cestmoi

I like the idea of a rollerball with one barrel being San Antonio mesquite and the other Texas pecan. It's a pen that I am less likely to mess up considering my beginner skills. I also think the stamps cast in resin for one barrel with the other being a native Texas wood would be really neat. Who offers those kinds of services for hire? My dad was fascinated by the live oaks at the Alamo and LBJ's ranch, but I don't think the Alamo folks would be willing to chop off a limb and send it to me to make a pen blank. ;) Dad's birthday is May 19 and he'll be 84. He was stationed in Texas for boot camp way back when, was a sergeant in he army, and almost never talks about his experiences overseas.

Bean_Counter

You can always get a penny smashed at the Alamo with the alamo inprinted on it and have that bad boy cast. You know those machines where it costs 50 cents to smash the penny with a logo on them,

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Don't know if there are appropriate stamps available, but I'ev just started casting stamps... I'd be willing to help and send you some options!

I'll check tomorrow to see if any are ava!

Mark

I like the idea of a rollerball with one barrel being San Antonio mesquite and the other Texas pecan. It's a pen that I am less likely to mess up considering my beginner skills. I also think the stamps cast in resin for one barrel with the other being a native Texas wood would be really neat. Who offers those kinds of services for hire? My dad was fascinated by the live oaks at the Alamo and LBJ's ranch, but I don't think the Alamo folks would be willing to chop off a limb and send it to me to make a pen blank. ;) Dad's birthday is May 19 and he'll be 84. He was stationed in Texas for boot camp way back when, was a sergeant in he army, and almost never talks about his experiences overseas.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I/You/We can get a "Red" Alamo 9 cent stamp from:

mysticstampco.com. for 60 cents!

Hmnnn.. Cast in a white background with Red speckles.. Stamp on top.

Just an option.

I'm willing.

cestmoi

I/You/We can get a "Red" Alamo 9 cent stamp from:

mysticstampco.com. for 60 cents!

Hmnnn.. Cast in a white background with Red speckles.. Stamp on top.

Just an option.

I'm willing.

Thanks, Mark! I'm going to get some blanks from a mesquite tree in San Antonio and some Texas pecan blanks. My plan is to make a two barrel pen. I also like the idea of one of the barrels being a stamp cast in resin. I'm just not sure it can be done in time. Dad's birthday is the 19th of May and i'm headed home for a visit on the 14th. If you think you can get it done in time, I can order the stamp(s) and have it sent directly to you for casting. PM me your thoughts.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Stamps (3) just got ordered. Mid week delivery... Cost a cup of coffee!
I'll PM when they arrive - use this for a back up plan! I can cast in different sizes if needed, so work on what you need for blanks.

Be well

Mark

rblakemore

Yes, Mesquite and Pecan

Yes, I agree Mesquite and Pecan are great choices; I just turned two Mesquite pens and they came out very nice. I have turned Pecan also and like it. I should have a source for raw native Texas Mesquite and Pecan soon.

Top Bottom