Need help wiht tube painting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Emery

I've taken a new job in Atlanta and will be moving to Johns Creek area at the end of the August. My wife and daughters left yesterday so we'll be apart 5 weeks. My daughters are 4 and 6 and love art so I am making them a pen each from fun colors. These blanks are yelow and orange crush. Do you think I need to paint the tubes or will the copper tubes make the blanks look better?

Attachments

• blanks.jpg
    blanks.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 135
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DSurette

If it were me I would paint the tubes. The tubes will tend to show more toward the ends of the blanks than in the the center giving them an uneven look. I guess it would be okay if the blanks are not tapered toward the ends.

reiddog1

I use the orange crush blank from time to time and I use orange testers to reverse paint the blank. I rarely paint the actual tube anymore. Hope this helps.

Dave

Timbo

It's more important to paint the drill hole. If you don't, its likely that the glue you used to secure the tube will show through in an uneven pattern. I actually paint the tubes and the blank hole. I use to use Testors paint, but that goes on too thick, the coverage isn't always that good, and it take too long to dry. I now use fast drying enamel spray paint which solves all those problems.

Flaturner

Paint the blank! I painted the tubes once and when I went to trim the barrels the glue held the paint but the paint did NOT hold the tube. It slid right out the other end of the blank. I haven't painted a tube since. I normally use acrylic hobby paints since I'm painting acrylic blanks. Seemed to make sense to me.

KenV

since we are on the subject of painting the blank, how do you paint the inside with out getting lots of streaks?

Streaks (variation in density) are OK -- you are blocking the brass, and streaks will cause some variation in coloration that I think improves the appearance.

Use spray or a q-tip works OK -- get coverage over the whole interior of the blank, but some vairation is normal - and you may scrape a bit when gluing in the tube.

RosezPenZ

Streaks (variation in density) are OK -- you are blocking the brass, and streaks will cause some variation in coloration that I think improves the appearance.

Use spray or a q-tip works OK -- get coverage over the whole interior of the blank, but some vairation is normal - and you may scrape a bit when gluing in the tube.
Thanks Ken, yes I get scaping also, thought I was just getting lucky and it would catch up with me at some point,

beck3906

Use a round file to file out the tube hole in the blank. This removes any burrs left after the drilling process. Also helps prevent scratches when you insert the tube.

Top Bottom