Need help stretching deer antler Edited

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

53Jim

I have some deer antler all prepared for a WoodCraft European pen, but one of the antler pieces is a bit shy of the bushing diameter. Is there any way to stretch this antler so it matches the bushings?

The diameter of the antler is too small for the upper barrel bushings. It's shy by about 1/16". I thought about using epoxy to build the area up, but I think I'll cut some more antler.

I would like to turn this pen to match a letter opener that I uploaded to my photo album (53Jim).

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was trying to be funny. Guess I keep my day job.:(
Thanks for any help,
Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

How much is it shy? Two things I can think of are: 1) cut it in half or quarters and do an inlay, or 2) build up a thick finish. Most of the time, you don't see too much of a finish on antler, so I'm guessing #2 is out, but it is an option

DocStram

Lately, I've been spending quite a bit of time with deer antler. In my opinion, it's fairly unforgiving. My suggestion would be to part off a small segment at the end of the barrel and then find a nice dark brown or black contrasting wood to laminate onto the end. Don't be discouraged, I think antler looks nice with a little wood trim.
Put up a photo when you're done.

JimGo

Originally posted by laurie sullivan
<br />jim, if you need more antler, i have enough. just email me as to where i'm to sent it.

laurie

I gotta say, this is why I love this place. Laurie, thank you for helping to make IAP a nice place to hang out.

Oh, and yes, I know I'm not the Jim to whom Laurie was referring...still a really nice gesture.

JimGo

Jim,
Sorry, apparently I misunderstood your problem. I thought the diameter of the antler was too small, not that the piece was too short.

alamocdc

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Jim,
Sorry, apparently I misunderstood your problem. I thought the diameter of the antler was too small, not that the piece was too short.
I read it the same way, Jim, because he said "diameter". So did we really read it wrong?

tnilmerl

First, you didn't specify whether it was the bottom or top barrel or whether you have already turned the blanks. IF yon have NOT turned the blank, then if it's the bottom blank, then orient the blank so that the 'shy' end is toward the middle. The middle slips inside the center ring and it will be concealed. You have a little bit of room to manipulate your transmission as you press it into the barrel. Depending on how much your blank is 'shy', you can just trim the tube down to the antler and go from there. If you are too short to do that, then follow several of the listed suggestions and add a spacer to the shy end. I would still have the spacer on the middle so that it will slip into the center ring.

If you shy blank is the top, and it's not too short either then, once again orient your blank with the shy end towards the middle. You'll be trimming the blank down on the center for a tenon to glue the center ring. Depending on how much you are shy, you may be about to just trim down your tubes and go from there. If not and the shyness is still within the length needed for the tenon, then glue on a spacer of whatever material you have handy and spin things down as you normally would. Another piece of antler would be fine. You don't have to worry too much about the spacer since it will be cut down and concealed within the center ring.

Now, if if the shyness is too great, say 3/32'' or more, you are better off gluing a spacer on the end and oriented your blank so that the spacer is on the finial or cap end of the pen.

On all of these, if you glue in a spacer, do your best to have a 90 degree cut so that there is no gap between the spacer and the antler.

Email me for more suggestions if any of the above does not fit your particular circumstances.

tnilmerl

Ok, I reread the original post. I now read the post as 'you turned down past the original diameter of your bushings and you want to add thickness, not length'. Other option is to get woodcraft's slimline euro deco kit and use it's parts instead. Woodcraft also has a smaller version of the euro kit, don't recall the exact name. Supposed to be targetted towards women or people wanting a smaller version of the euro. I personally never considered the euro a 'big' pen, but what do I know? You can also turn your own center band if you want to stick with your original kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom