Need help selecting a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bnoles

I'm still a little new and dumb at pen making so try not to get all of your amusement off just my post tonight [:I]

My wife enjoys Calligraphy and I would like to make her a really nice pen for Christmas. I have been looking at Craft USA and got my self totally confused (not really that hard to do). [xx(]

Maybe some of you experts can coach me along in selecting the right pen and nibs for this quest. My wife is a small woman with small hands, so I need to stay as small and light weight with this pen as possible. To give you an idea of how small her hands are, try a ring size of 3 1/2. Anyhow, back to my plea... Which style, kit and nibs do I need to be looking at that will help me resolve this confusion. If the kit can be used as a rollerball between caligraphy use that would be a plus as well. Twist pens I understand.... fountain pens I turn stupid. [B)]

TIA for any help or advice you can offer.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

How about a dip pen that can accept any speedball nib?

0073.jpg

Other than that, the slimmest fountain pen I can think of would be the American Streamline from Berea. If you buy both a rollerball kit and a fountain nib for that style, you would be able to switch back and forth. However, I'm not sure if that nib is available in a calligraphy nib.

Skye

That would by suggestion too, although I have no idea how to make those, lol

That pic reminds me of Fletch. "Dr. Jellyfinger"

tone

The only calligraphy nib I know of is from Craft Supplies USA. It is a "stub" which basically means its ground straight across and doesn't have an iridium ball.
It fits the smaller kits like the gent and I believe (but not sure) the american and european types as well. The grips on the gents are not very large in diameter. I would put it on a dedicated pen rather than switch back and forth with a rollerball. A set would be nice. Either will dry out if not capped.

Tony

txbob

Hi Bob,

Take a look at this:

http://www.trade80.com/JCP/projects/dip_pens/dip.htm

Not sure if that's what you want, but dip pens are common in calligraphy. There are a lot of different nibs available for them. Look at stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby, or on the net.

txbob

bnoles

Thanks so much for the helpful replies, both here as well as by email and PM.

The wife currently uses cartridges so I better stick with that method for this particular pen project, however, I do like the pictures you have shared of the dip pens. After I defeat the original goal of making her's for Christmas, I am certainly going to do one of those dip models... they are cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom