Need help with a rifle cartridge pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Of all the pens I've made, I have never made a rifle casing pen. Don't ask me why:rolleyes: I just never got around to it.

However, I have a friend who is a serious, serious hunter (the kind deer have nightmares about..... and he talks like Carl Childers on Slingblade, lol).

I owe him a nice favor, and would like to make him a shell casing pen.

If you have any links to what shell casings fit what kit, or if anyone has such info they can share with me, I would appreciate it!

The pen will be a shell casing and antler provided by him. He has every rifle imaginable, so I'm sure he'll have everything laying around, other than maybe a .50 cal., lol.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

The simplest calibers to start with are 308 Winchester or 30-06 Springfield, which lend themselves for use with a slimline or euro kit. Are you planning to use a kit nib? If so, 308Win is probably the easiest. If you want to drill a bullet for the nib, then your options increase greatly. I've made pens from 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win, 30-06Spg, 7mmRem, 7mmRemMag, 300Winmag, and 338WinMag (et. al.) using a variety of kits including slimline, euro, perfect-fit, and cigar.

If you'd like, you could come over and I'll walk you through the case prep. I have the tools necessary to safely disassemble live ammunition, or to resize and clean fired brass. I also have 308 caliber bullets that are suitable for nibs. I can help you cut the cases (if you want that, and even powder-coat the parts. Drop me a pm if you're interested.

Regards,
Eric

papaturner

1_307antler2.jpg

Matt, The simpliest one that I have done has been the 308 I actually use a slimline kit and the use the deer antler for the cap making sure it matches the dia, of the 308.
If I can help PM me and I`ll answer any questions that I can. Good luck with the pen.

redfishsc

Thanks for all the replies, and PM's replied to, thanks!!

Matt, the library is full of tutorials on cartidge pen making and drilling. Hope this helps.

Normally that would be the first place I would check, but for some reason this time, it never occurred to me. :redface::redface::redface:
Thanks for the reminder. This is what grad school does to one's brain..... stuff in one side of the brain.... stuff out the other :frown:

Top Bottom