Need help-Repairing Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rebfan04

I got a feather blank --almost down to bushing- and small chunk blew off end. What's the best way to repair this. I have thin and medium ca but no accelerator. I've not mastered the ca finish yet but working on it.
Thanks Roger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hess

if it is not to the bass than a dab of tin CA followed by layers of med to build up. if you dont have accel than use a hair dyer to warm up the blank to help cure each layer.

I tend to put a thick layer down heat it to cure than sand or wet sand than another layer until it is covered

If it is thought to the bass. I mix CA and the dust or chips from the blanks and level that way. you will have a spot there that is the main color of the blank sometimes I will dab just a bit of paint the main color of the blank on the tube

When done place the clip over that area

IPD_Mrs

if it is not to the bass than a dab of tin CA followed by layers of med to build up. if you dont have accel than use a hair dyer to warm up the blank to help cure each layer.

I tend to put a thick layer down heat it to cure than sand or wet sand than another layer until it is covered

If it is thought to the bass. I mix CA and the dust or chips from the blanks and level that way. you will have a spot there that is the main color of the blank sometimes I will dab just a bit of paint the main color of the blank on the tube

When done place the clip over that area

Another trick to cure if you don't have accel according to a dear and departed friend - Eagle -

Take a cigarette and hold it under the blank and wave it back and forth a couple of times. He swore by it .....
You might try the same thing with a bees wax candle I suppose - couldn't tell you but I would personally be hesitant about any candle that was putting off a thick heavy black smoke.

Mrs.

workinforwood

There's lots of way to fix it, but no way to fix it will be completely invisible. Even a re-cast is not fool proof because you get the slightest bit of dirt or air trapped in the damaged area and you can see it. I would contact the person you purchased the blank from and see if there is anything the two of you can work out between you. Certainly doesn't sound like the creator is at fault and certainly he is not obligated to fix or replace it, but you catch him on a good day even if you were the culprit that broke it, and you never know what kind of deal might be worked out. Never hurts to inquire.

JohnU

Jeff is correct. I've recast some but there's always a slight visible line or stress crack in the resin that doesn't go away. Not sure if its one of mine or something you bought recently or else where, but I would like to offer you a replacement blank. Let me know what style tube it was and what type of bird feather and I'll get something out to you. I would also suggest turning it down close to the bushings and then sand it to final shape and size. Works every time for me and silmar doesn't get as soft as some acrylics do when sanding so you won't have to worry about it melting or falling off the tube.

Top Bottom