Need help. Question about sanding aluminum.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Freethinker

I have a question about sanding aluminum pens.

I recently ordered some of the aluminum blanks from johnnycnc, for the Jr. Statesman kit.

I made one of the pens last nite, but really ran into a snag with the sanding.

I first began with 200 grit,then 350, 400 and 600. (sanding long ways between each grit and wiping down with DNA)

When I reached 600 I began wet sanding. On to 800 grit, 1000 then 2000, all wet sanded. I could tell I was not really getting the sort of reflective "chrome" looking shine I was looking for, but kept thinking, "Surely it'll begin to show up with the next grit".

Then I went through the MM sheets (skipping past the first couple of courser sheets since I'd already gone to 2000 grit with the paper sheets) up to 8000 grit.

Then on to the buffing wheel with white diamond. To put it mildly, after all of this, under a magnifying glass,the blanks looked like --for lack of a better word-- crap.

Yeeeck. They had very poor shine and almost an alligator like pattern of small indentations or scales. Pathetic.

I started over.

I began with 400 and then 600. Immediately, I had more shine than after the white diamond polishing. Not a great shine, still more of a brushed look, but better than before.

Then 800, 1000, and 2000.

Then Brasso applied on the lathe then polished with a Viva paper towel at high speed.

Still not much shine....very uneven and blotchy.

I started over.

I began with 400 and then 600 then 800 grit, --no water this time-- then 1000.

Then I used some 1500 grit (Klingspor) paper I have with a "greasy" sort of feel to it.

This produced the best shine I had yet achieved, but still not a really "chrome" sort of smooth shine. I applied two coats of Ren wax and assembled the pen.

So.

Does anyone have a sanding regime for aluminum that has produced good results for them?.......a shiny and smooth shine like a mirror??

Any help you can give is much appreciated. (I showed the aluminum pen to my banker today and he immediately ordered three of them for Christmas presents for his friends, and I'd like to do a better job on the next ones)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MobilMan

Dan, I used to own an automatic carwash & blow dryer all of aluminum & someone told me to use flour {used in kitchen]. That stuff really worked. Use it dry. Use water & it will turn black but will still shine. After final sanding, just rub with the flour. I started an alum. pen once but the shine looked more like stainless steel than alum.

Freethinker

Sent you a pm, Dan :)

Thanks John...

...weirdly enough, 5 minutes after I posted that I went to your website to order some more aluminum blanks (I saw that you were out of the pre-drilled, pre-cut to length alum barrels; will you have them again in the future? I have the full 115 piece set of bits but I still do not have the correct size drill bit to drill for the Jr Gent II components to be pressed in) and ran across your **INSTRUCTIONS** link and read how you do the sanding.

Now THAT is what I was looking for.

I am going to use the mineral spirits quite liberally next time and I think it will be a great aid.

Thanks to all who responded....

Freethinker

Dan, I used to own an automatic carwash & blow dryer all of aluminum & someone told me to use flour {used in kitchen]. That stuff really worked. Use it dry. Use water & it will turn black but will still shine. After final sanding, just rub with the flour. I started an alum. pen once but the shine looked more like stainless steel than alum.

?!?

Wow. Flour??

I'll have to give it a try. (actually, the stainless steel look is kinda what I am going after)

Thanks.

johnnycnc

Sent you a pm, Dan :)

Thanks John...

...weirdly enough, 5 minutes after I posted that I went to your website to order some more aluminum blanks (I saw that you were out of the pre-drilled, pre-cut to length alum barrels; will you have them again in the future? I have the full 115 piece set of bits but I still do not have the correct size drill bit to drill for the Jr Gent II components to be pressed in) and ran across your **INSTRUCTIONS** link and read how you do the sanding.

Now THAT is what I was looking for.

I am going to use the mineral spirits quite liberally next time and I think it will be a great aid.

Thanks to all who responded....

I'm glad you found the instructions, Dan.:) That should work for you.

here is a real quick polish I did tonight just to show the results;
http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=15947
there was a new metal polish involved, but you'll be amazed at how bright they can be just with the wet dry paper, flooded with mineral spirits.

I am out of the pre drilled, sorry.. i pretty much make them on demand as I have so many other projects and parts going on.

I use a custom order tool to size the bores (those are not cheap),
so yeah it's tough to duplicate with just a drill.

pm me with your needs, here, or thru my site if you wish...

John

BKelley

To really know what media to use on aluminum for polishing depends on the composition of the aluminum. I've tried 6061 T-6 and am not really happy with the shine, so I used scotch brite by 3M for a butler finish. My next go around with aluminum will be 7075 T-6 which is some what harder and should polish better.
Are you familar with Happich Simichrome? I use up to 2000 grit wet or dry paper and then use the Simichrome. I have used Simichrome for years and find it to be one of the best polishes around. It is good for coughs, colds sore toes and guaranteed to make child birth a pleasure. Good luck on the aluminum pens, let us see some pics.

Top Bottom