Need Help with a pen and magnet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

daveeisler

Hello and thanks for taking a look , I have a project that requires me to have the tip of a pen be magnetic, I am looking for ideas to do this, so far I have found
3/16" od x 1/16" id x 1/16" thick Neodymium ring magnets, and I have tried to load them in a click pen with poor results, any ideas would be great, thanks Dave.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

There is a pen whose cap has a magnetic ring to hold the cap on the pen. It is the Zen sold by Craft Supplies. Don't know what you are trying to do (actually, it's none of my business) but maybe this bit of info will help.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hello and thanks for taking a look , I have a project that requires me to have the tip of a pen be magnetic, I am looking for ideas to do this, so far I have found
3/16" od x 1/16" id x 1/16" thick Neodymium ring magnets, and I have tried to load them in a click pen with poor results, any ideas would be great, thanks Dave.

daveeisler

Thanks Don, I am not sure as well what the pen will be used for, i think it will be part of an experimental project, I was just asked if I could make one or two, and they wanted nothing fancy, and only asked that there be a magnetic tip,

juteck

If you're using the ring magnet intending for the refill to pass through the inside hole, you might have to make your own nib to fit the magnet, instead of trying to fit the magnet to the nib.

Another option might be to make the pen as you normally would, but put the magnet at the other end - modify the clicker button, or consider a twist pen and modify the end finial with a magnet.

Steve Busey

You could use some (scrap?) material to create a new finial/endcap for a Euro or Gent, and sandwich the magnet inside it.

Pens By Scott

Just thinking about it, does the magnet need to be retractable? Does the pen also have to write?
If so, how far in? Wondering if you could use a nib coupler for the tip, and a click pen for the top. The nib coupler, depending on the kit used, could be the same i.d. or slightly larger than the o.d. of the magnet (thinking rare earth types).

If not a writable pen, you could then use some kind of metal post in place of the ink cartridge inside the pen to allow for the click mechanism.

If this works as a prototype, you could file the threads of the outside of the nib coupler/tip for a nicer finish.

I have a few more ideas, but need to know the answers to my first two questions.

Sounds like a real fun project though.

daveeisler

Scott, the pen does need to write, I tried a click and could not get it to retract, it needs to be ordinarry in every way, other than magnetic nib.

Allenk

Dave, see if there's someone on this forum that can make you a nib out of mild steel, then magnify it.
Or: Buy a rare earth magnet of the appropriate size, drill it to fit on the end of your tube (just above the nib) and turn it down, & mount it just like you would mount the cushion grip of a comfort pen... with CA.

Top Bottom