Need Help on Painting an Acrylic Blank Tube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtrusselle

I have an order for a Wall Street II pen with a purple acrylic blank. Instead of painting the brass tube or using a prepainted white tube, I plan to paint the interior of the drilled blank. What type of paint is the best to use and how would you apply? Also, given the purple blank (dark), would you paint the interior with purple, black or some other color?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I usually paint the tubes on mine.If you want to paint the blank use a qtip and testors paint will work.As far as what color if you want a lighter shade of purple i would use white.

G1Pens

I use a q-tip and testors acrylic paint. I also paint the tubes. As mentioned above, use white for a lighter purple and black for a darker purple. You can also use a matching purple to try and keep the color unchanged. If you want to be creative you can use red or blue to slightly change the shade of the purple.

JMT

+1 on Testors and I am a recent converter to painting the interior of the blank vs the tubes.

randyrls

Just use a spray can like Krylon. Use gloves! Give each end of the tube a 2 second burst, then let dry overnight. White will make the color lighter and more vibrant, a matching spray color will make the color more intense! Black will darken the color and subdue it.

bgio13

I have used Testors and the Rustoleum spray can and both methods work. I like the Testors because the jars take up less room than spray cans if you end up buying a lot of colors. I also like to tint the epoxy with a little paint when I glue the tubes in, saves painting the tubes. I think using white would make the purple color stand out more. Hope this helps.

Bill

spnemo

For purple blanks I like to use Testors silver paint. Usually try to paint the inside of the tube with a color that matches the blank. However, most of my purple blanks have a translucent look to them and I really like how silver paint adds to that look.

hilltopper46

Just use a spray can like Krylon. Use gloves! Give each end of the tube a 2 second burst, then let dry overnight. White will make the color lighter and more vibrant, a matching spray color will make the color more intense! Black will darken the color and subdue it.

What Randy said :) - but to add to this a little bit. After it dries for a few minutes, look through the blank at the light, and you can see whether you have good (complete) coverage. Respray if necessary.

Another trick that works for me, is when i can't smell a strong odor of drying pain from the blank anymore, it's dry enough to epoxy.

That said, unless the blank is extremely translucent (and some are) it is (IMHO) easier to spray the tube(s) and just as effective.

Top Bottom