Need help with Olive wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bitshird

I have my first custom order, sorry it is only a set of slimlines but I will add some shape to them.
My problem is the blanks seem to me at least to be very oily, is this normal for Olive wood from the holy land??
I’ve done a few pens in Caribbean Rosewood, which I was under the impression was a rather oily wood, but it seemed no where near the oil content of the Olive wood.
Has any one recently received any wood from Holy Land Products?
The wood seems dry outwardly, but I had to clean my drill bit with degreaser after drilling each blank, it was actually tacky/sticky on the drill body just behind the margins, it did smell good, made me wish I’d had a Martini to go with it. (humm a dry martini with cobalt please, stirred not shaken) Nah just the Olive please.
Some advice, opinions please
Thanks
Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smoky10

BOW is very oily and buffs to a great shine. I usually sand it to 12000MM and buff it with no finish. The oils from your hand will keep it shiny, occasionally buffing it with a soft cloth will clean and shine it.

Ligget

They are naturally oily, you may have problems trying to get a consistant CA finish.

Better using Enduro or whatever on this first order![:D]

bitshird

Thanks Mark, I was thinking that CA would flake off easily I don’t have any Enduro I can get BLO at a home supply or lumber yard, just starting out it’s hard to have every thing I need especially living 100 miles or about 190 KM from a large city . I have a list of things that I will order when I deliver this set. I have a gallon of water based poly, would that work?? [?]

Rmartin

Yeah, olivewood will worm up when drilling. And yes, it does smell great. It does take a nice polish. I usually spray lacquer four or five coats.

Rmartin

barrels

I turn BOW and use CA... if you want to use CA wipe the blank with Denatured Alcohol first then apply CA. Also I used Danish oil to pull out the color of the wood. When I aply the danish ..I wipe it on and wipe it off until the blank is pretty dry.

Eric

bitshird

Wow does BOW load up sand paper, the grain on the first half of the pen that I have turned is beautiful, I have only got to 400 grit wet or dry.
For what seems like a soft wood, it sure is difficult to sand, I will try using Mineral spirits from 180 grit up I think I will do the Pencil on my mandrel, it seems like the wood is plastic enough to distort turning between centers since it is just a swelled center slimline.
I can see where this is going to be close to the end of slimlines for me,
Thanks for the help
Ken Ferrell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom