Need help looking for a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
So far I've turned Berea's Slimline and Cigar pens. One's too skinny, the other is too fat.

Tonight I made a fat slimline, almost 1/2", by not using the center band, but it felt to short.

I'd like to find a pen that is 5/16"-1/2" thick, about 5-1/2" long. Any suggestions form the experts?

THX

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldimick

I have run into the same situation. I tuerned a wood center band that allowed the sdlimline to have more heft.

The way that I did it was sort of cheating. I had a spare 7mm tube and turned the end of a blank down with a bead tool. Then I trimmed the bead off the blank and used it.

vick

If you want you can adjust the length of the slimlines by getting a set of longer 7mm tubes. Cut the tubes down to the size you want and turn to desired size. I know you can get longer 7mm tubes at woodcraft, but not sure where else.

For a nice in between pen (not sure of actual spec) CSU Americana Rollerbal, Americana double twist ball point, or a Jr Gentlemens (the baron from Arizona sillouette is the same basic pen as the Jr. Gentlemens.)

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Boy do you have a lot of choices! One of the easiest ways to meet thoses requirements is to make one of Russ Fairfield's modified slimlines. Check out http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen10.html . Also. check out Scott Greaves article (in our Articles section) on custom centerbands, which will give you an option of adding some length to your own modified slimlines. Beyond that you can try any of the Europeans, the Double-twists, etc. BTW, I think 5/16 is much too small since the average slimline is 0.40 in diameter. I think you want to concentrate on something between 7/16 and 9/16. Those tend to fit medium sized hands the best.

Fred in NC

One of the best purchases I have made is getting 7mm tubes in 10" lengths. I can adjust the length of the barrels any way I want. The ebony/BOW pen in my album has a longer upper barrell made this way.

Lou
I meant 7/16" (typo) - Sorry. Russ's Fatline and Russline are both shorter. I like the round tops of the European Pens, do you know their dimensions

Vic
I like the idea of longer 7mm tubes, I remember seeing 10" lengths somewhere. I'll have to look into it.

Lynn
Let me see if I have this right. You setup a blank with a tube guled in place, then you cut off bands as you need them. Is this right? I like that!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Ron--I combine the Fatline and the Longline and fashion essentially any length and thickness I want. As for the Euro's, the one's I've done (I think they may have been Berea) are 0.45". Good luck!

JimGo

Ron,
You could also just use multiple tubes positioned next to eachother in the blank. For example, you could go to Woodcraft, PSI, or almost any other manufacturer/distributor and get a set of "spare" 7mm tubes (or, if you're like me, you've got several extra tubes from pens that exploded on you early in your turning career - not that I'm all that far into it!). Then cut one of the "spares" in 1/3's or 1/2 and use one of the cut pieces inside the blank along with the standard tube. Since the transmission and everything sits inside the lower blank, the length of the upper blank is irrelevant, as long as it is long enough for the end of the refill to fit inside. I've actually thought about making a short pen that way, but the same idea would work for an extra-long upper blank.

Just a thought. Good luck, and please post your results!

Daniel

THe P.S.I. comfort pen,(toss out the rubber grip) .414 7/16 is .4375 inches is what the one I have measures for thickness. Just a touch over 5 inches long. sorry about that .5 inch.
you could get a bit more width by leaving it fat. mine is a straight cut.
the other is the longwood. I like them both for the next size up from the slimline.
from there you bump up to the Euros and Americanas. Gemini, and soem others. these will be closer to the full half inch and I think they also get into the 5.5 inches you are looking for.

jrc

I turn only 7mm pens and after 6000+ pens I turn slimlines for a small pen, a comfort or I call it a tapered pen for a med. size pen and from Berea I get the streamline and turn large for my large pens. So far everyone has been very happy with there orders.

MDWine

Hey Jim!

Took a look at your album! Excellent! I learned quite a bit there, especially your "assembly" process...

So you don't make the other types of pens? Cigars? Perfect Fit? etc...

I have made a couple of the "modified" slimlines, and I like them a lot!

Nice album! (I'm gonna keep an eye on that! [;)] )

Paul in OKC

YOu could use two of the lower tubes from the 7mm Euros. They are about 2 3/8" long. With those you would have an assembled pen of at least 5 1/4" long with lots of room in the middle[:)]

Thumbs

You CAN take a Cigar pen and cut and hack it much the same as a Slimline (Which means pretty much any way you want to!)if you want it smaller. They are one of the easiest pens to make and reasonably priced, too. I find they balance almost perfectly and feel nice and solid even shaved down!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have'nt turned it in a while, but I believe the Father Sing pen CSUSA would fit your bill. The kit is essentially a slimline with a longer lower tube (about a quarter inch, I think) and a larger (optional) center band. Insert your own band, turn to desired size.

Scott

Hi Ron,

I really like the Father Sing pen from CSUSA. It is longer and heftier than a standard slimling, and I think they got the proportions just right. In their platinum finish it makes a stunning pen!

I also like the Streamlined Round Top from Berea. It is essentially the same as the Streamlined Slimline except it has the round top like a euro, and it is fatter all along the top barrel, not just at the middle. It's also pretty long in the hand.

And thanks to Lou for the plug for my article! To answer John's question, it is still available in the article section - it is the one posted as "Why Pen Turning?" I hope this helps!

Scott.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Scott
<br />And thanks to Lou for the plug for my article! To answer John's question, it is still available in the article section - it is the one posted as "Why Pen Turning?" I hope this helps!

Scott.
That's not a plug--that's a grateful acknowledgement. [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom