Need help on this lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

Hey , guys, good morning and top of the day to you guys.
I dound this on the craig list wanted to get some advise on it. any guidance will help.

2004 Shop Fox W1704 bench top wood lathe. Motor 1/3 HP, 4 amp, 120 v, 60 hz, spindle speed 700-3200 RPM, max stock lenth 13', max stock diameter 8". In good condition, Asking $125.00.

3n83k83m75Y15P15X2a6640247bb523a01a94.jpg
3oc3pe3l05Q45Z25X3a66b1393a49591b1eb8.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey all,

Who's got a Shop Fox???
Phillip asked for my feedback (PM) ---all I can say is it looks like the Jet. IS it??

Thanks to all who can help!!

dgscott

1/3 hp is kind of underpowered (even the PSI is 1/2 hp), but as long as you're not turning massively heavy stock you should be okay. And at $125, it's priced right.
Doug

ldb2000

Nope , it's not a Jet clone or even close to one . Most definatlly not worth $125 he's asking for it . It is the same as the $99 HF lathe .... and that's for a new one . That lathe is MT1 on both the head stock and the tail stock and the smaller 3/4" spindle . I got the same lathe on ebay for $89 new , it was my first lathe and while it worked it didn't do the greatest job , it's under powered and the MT1 really put a limit on accessories . I replaced it about 3 months after I bought it with my Jet .

OKLAHOMAN

Butch is sooooooooooooo right, my first lathe was this same shop fox, took me less time than him to upgrade to a mini jet...

PenMan1

Here's the same lathe NEW for $99 , and in MHO not even worth that . http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-x-12-inch-bench-top-wood-lathe-95607.html
It's MT1 head and tail stock so you can't get accessories for it and under powered .

It couldn't be much worse than the old Excelsior that I started with. I got three new ones, back to back before I could ever even get one to work at all!

Then I graduated to that fabulous Grizzly with the bad casting that broke in half!

Finally found the jet 1014VSI and lived happily ever after.

Gosh, I wish there had been an IAP back then!

tim self

I have one and only paid $129 for it new. Absolutely to much for a used one. New it comes with a 2 yr warranty and you will probably need it. It is ok for a starter or a second machine for buffing or finishing. I turned on it for 18 months. The light weight and MT1 allows for vibration which can cause problems.

phillywood

Well, guys, butch, I am forever thankfull. It appears that I need to just come up with the money and buy the jet and stay away form all that youguys went through. I guess I am lucky to join now that are meny experts like youfolks around. Again thanks every one and God bless.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Well, guys, butch, I am forever thankfull. It appears that I need to just come up with the money and buy the jet and stay away form all that youguys went through. I guess I am lucky to join now that are meny experts like youfolks around. Again thanks every one and God bless.
Good idea...I have a low priced lathe and it does what it needs to do but not nearly as well as it could....spend a bit more and get a lot better.

LarryDNJR

You could always ask the craigslist guy to go $50 bucks or what not since you can get another similar generic one for a few bucks more at HF. $50 I'd get it just to mess around with until I could get a better one.

I am going to agree with Butch (and most of the others) on this one. The HF version was my first lathe and the only good thing was the variable speed. I still have it, but only do finishing on it. That's about all it's good for.

Rfturner

My lathe is the PSI Turncrafter Pro VS, it is a great lathe but if I would have saved a little more I would have gone for the Jet 1014VS. I would pass on the lathe from craigs list. You will be much happier in the long run.

Top Bottom