Need help identifying wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I found some type of spalted wood a while back and need some help identifying it. It is a white wood that is very soft and doesn't have much of a smell. I know this is not much info to go on but it's pretty much all I know about the wood. (Have not seen the tree it came off of). I'll post a picture of it when I get home. I think it may be cottonwood but I'm not sure. Can you help me?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Almost forgot to post this.:biggrin:

Here it is.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 165

randywa

This is some spalted hackberry that I have. It looks pretty similar to me.

Attachments

• P1030990.JPG
    P1030990.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 107
What are some of the characteristics of unstabilised hackberry? is it really soft because when I drilled through some of the wood I have, the drill bit went through it like a hot knife through butter.

randywa

It's very soft and the punkys places flake out with a fingernail. It was a pain to sand while turning. It would go from firm to soft in less time than it takes to think don't do that. To me it really doesn't have a smell.

It's very soft and the punkys places flake out with a fingernail. It was a pain to sand while turning. It would go from firm to soft in less time than it takes to think don't do that. To me it really doesn't have a smell.

Thats just about how my wood acts. I think that it is spalted hackberry.

Thanks for the help everyone.

jskeen

Since it came from Texas, I would bet dollars to doughnuts it's sweetgum. I've got a ton of it, looks just like that and because the trees are very brittle, they are constantly dropping limbs and falling over. Not to mention dropping those seed pods to discourage people from walking around barefoot.

Top Bottom