Need help, epoxy failure - twice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

I typically us Devcon 5-min epoxy for all my tube glue ins.
Recently I used some PR cast that I made myself and had failures.
On the first one I used a black marker to blacken the tubes, after sanding them slightly. The second time I used some krylon craft enamel to paint the inside of the blank and the outside of the brass tube. I also use just a little to mix with the epoxy. I know the epoxy got hard because I checked the leftovers on the mixing board. It looks as though the enamel paint did not stick to the brass tube and on the first one the marker prevented the epoxy from sticking to the brass. The enamel paint requires lacquer thinner for cleanup so it is not water based.
Any similar experiences out there? What should I have done differently?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Others will say differently, but I've had NO success with epoxy glue and enamel paint. It seems the glue pulls the paint from the tube. I have MUCH better success with acrylic paint.

Secondly, is there a reason that you must paint the tube rather than the hole in the blank? Two things happen to me when I paint tubes rather than reverse painting the black. The first thing is that if the glues DOESN'T fail, the paint underneath looks crinkled or broken. The other thing that usually happens is the paint pulls off the tube and the glue up fails.

Also, I never have success with "magic marker" painting, so I just don't do it.

Respectfully submitted.

Dale Allen

Thank you Andy. When you say acrylic paint, do you mean a water based acrylic?
I see what you mean about pulling the paint off of the tube. I had not considered that.

PenMan1

I use Delta Cermcoat acrylic craft paint and Pantone Acrylic paint. The Delta Ceramcoat I get at Hobby Lobby or on line for about $1 per 2oz bottle. Home Depot frequently (last one was Black Friday) has a 32 bottle set of 2 Oz Pantone acrylics for as little as $9.99.

I've had terrific success with both of these paints applied with a culture swab (long QTip)

Top Bottom