Need help compiling a list of "oily" woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I am trying to compile a list of woods (for my benefit, lol, mostly) of woods like cocobolo that are oily and do not require a film finish (CA or lacquer) to be protected. I have a lot of customers and friends that much prefer the "raw wood" feel of cocobolo and blackwood that has been micromeshed and waxed with carnauba over the cold feel of slick CA or lacquer.

The problem is, if I am ordering from a catalog like CSA, they don't specify if something is oily.

I'll start the list with what I can think of off the top of my head:

cocobolo
bocote
Rosewoods (east indian, bolivian, honduran, cochen)
bubinga
blackwood
ebony (black, mun, macassar)
lignum vitae/verawood
teak
tulipwood
morado
Olivewood
kingwood
snakewood

(your answer here....)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by redfishsc
<br /> I have a lot of customers and friends that much prefer the "raw wood" feel of cocobolo and blackwood that has been micromeshed and waxed with carnauba over the cold feel of slick CA or lacquer.

What kind of CA are you using? All of mine feel hot! Had blisters to prove it! [:D]

I made a rosewood pen for a friend about a year ago. I am back in the States for a few weeks and looked at the pen that I made then. Raw wood and carnuba. It looks terrible. He loves his new CA finished rosewood though!

I find that many people love the waxed pens until the sheen wears off, but after that experience, most of them prefer the CA look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom