Need help Churchill assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

I am about making my first churchill today and want to ask about using a press block for the threaded coupler.
I have seen a lot of folks here say that they use a press block to avoid stress on the coupler. The instructions that came with the pen do not mention using a press block.
Can someone post a picture of the press block so I can make sure I understand what it is and what it does.

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Kirk, what you want is a piece of wood with a hole in it large enough for the threaded coupler to fit into. The shoulder of the threaded coupler should not fit into the hole. This way when you press the threaded coupler to place all of the force will be on the shoulder rather than the plastic threads.

BTW, a picture of a press block would simply be a piece of wood with a hole in it. ;)

kirkfranks

Thanks Cav,

After looking at all of the parts I figured that was it.
I did make a piece of wood with a hole in it (I am actually pretty good at that now) so I think I got it.

kirkfranks

Julia,
Call Berea Toll Free: 1-877-736-5487 and ask them to replace it.

On another thread we heard that they didn't get many back from customers.
Also some good discussion on sending parts back so they realize the scope of the problem (if there is one;))
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32118

OH By the way since this was my post... I did get the pen put together and I will try to get a picture up later.

hughbie

i guess i've been pretty darn lucky, but then again, i've only made about 5 fountain pens and i haven't used a press block and haven't broken anything.....of course, now i've jinxed myself...thank you very much![:I]

jtate

Kirk,

Thanks for the info. Didn't mean to highjack the thread - happy you got the pen assembled and I'm looking forward to seeing the photos.

Julia

Firefyter-emt

Julia, when you call, PLEASE let us know how you made out. I have three of these pens with broken couplers sitting in a box. Maybe ask them if they have thought about a change in design too??

Top Bottom