Need help cartridge pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jzerger

A customer has asked for two pens made from rifle cartridges from his father's fired military funeral cartridges. The Veteran's Honor Guard cartridges (2 of the 7) are pictured (attached).

This is WAY out of my league. I have made over 1000 pens and sold lots but have always modified kits/materials to make a pen.

I am looking for someone who would be willing to work directly with him to give him what he wants (somewhat left to be determined). Please pm and/or post any ideas that can help.
Thank you,
john

Attachments

• Neal.JPG
    Neal.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bikerdad

I am looking for someone who would be willing to work directly with him to give him what he wants (somewhat left to be determined). Please pm and/or post any ideas that can help.
Thank you,
john

I suggest you PM rd_ab_penman, as he may or may not see this. I believe he's made more than a few pens directly from spent cases.

psuwildlifer

Here's some of the spent case pens I've made. They are fairly easy. The biggest problem I see with your situation is that the brass is crimped at the neck because they were blanks. I'd think if you can find someone who reloads they could run it through a sizing die and take care of that. I'm new to the forum and have only been turning a little over a year, but I'd be more than happy to to tell you the steps I use to make these.

8mm-450%20slimline_zpsqqwzxelx.jpg

The base is a 8mm Mauser and the top is a 450 Marlin Magnum using a slimeline kit with no trim ring.

30-30_45-70%20trimline_zpskgi1ddvu.jpg

The base is a 30-30 Winchester and the top is a 45-70 Gov't. using a Trimline kit with the trim ring.

Last edited:

Rockytime

Here's some of the spent case pens I've made. They are fairly easy. The biggest problem I see with your situation is that the brass is crimped at the neck because they were blanks. I'd think if you can find someone who reloads they could run it through a sizing die and take care of that. I'm new to the forum and have only been turning a little over a year, but I'd be more than happy to to tell you the steps I use to make these.

8mm-450%20slimline_zpsqqwzxelx.jpg

The base is a 8mm Mauser and the top is a 450 Marlin Magnum using a slimeline kit with no trim ring.

30-30_45-70%20trimline_zpskgi1ddvu.jpg

The base is a 30-30 Winchester and the top is a 45-70 Gov't. using a Trimline kit with the trim ring.

Stunning Pens!

Skie_M

Do you turn some wood to go inside the cases and take up all the extra slack room or do you fill with solder around the brass casing and the tubes?

I have seen some people turn a small brass fitting to fit in between the casing and the pen tube as a bushing and just solder that in place, leaving a medium weight pen, while the solder filled is most definitely the heaviest, with the wood filled being the lightest.

KenV

When my father checked into the next plane, I contacted Eric R to have the blank casings from the service engraved and clear power coated

I resized the cases and soldered in the tubes. I turned the upper section from ebony and used gold titanium hardware.

Wood-n-whinsies sells the hardware for case conversions for a nominal price.

I had enough cases for all his kids and grandkids.

I had about $25 each into the pens including laser engraved cases.

psuwildlifer

Do you turn some wood to go inside the cases and take up all the extra slack room or do you fill with solder around the brass casing and the tubes?

I have seen some people turn a small brass fitting to fit in between the casing and the pen tube as a bushing and just solder that in place, leaving a medium weight pen, while the solder filled is most definitely the heaviest, with the wood filled being the lightest.

I turn about a 1/2" piece of cutoff for the necked end. Punch out the primer and drill a 27/64" hole in the back of the case. Press the tube in the case with a little CA at both ends. Then mount the whole works back on the mandrel for sanding and polishing. I then file a flat in the back of the case to align the clip. If not, the clip won't fit correctly.

psuwildlifer

image_zpsod61fyb1.jpeg

image_zpsio3no0yo.jpeg

Here are a few detail pictures showing the cases. The pen mill does a great job of squaring the case with the wooden bushing and the pen tube.

jttheclockman

There are some very good tutorials in the library showing how to do this. Check them out.

penturners.org/library/pens/bullet_casing.pdf

jzerger

Thank you all for the assistance and ideas. I hope to attempt some of these modifications one day. I just don't have time now. The customer has been in touch with a few members here and I believe (haven't heard from him recently) has found what he wanted. Thanks again for the advice and willingness to help.

Top Bottom