Need Help On Capri Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

I am going to try my first fountain pen.
Picture shows short blank first then center bushing then long blank.
Yet the printed instructions show exactly the opposite.
So which one is indeed the lower one , , the short or the long one.
I don't want to cut the tenon in the wrong one.
W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatLawson

Originally posted by William Young
<br />...So which one is indeed the lower one , , the short or the long one. I don't want to cut the tenon in the wrong one.

William,
I've never made one of these pens, (had never even heard of them), but in looking at the instructions on Penn State's web site,
http://www.pennstateind.com/library/PKCAPRI.pdf
it definitely shows the long tube being the upper barrel and the shorter tube as the lower barrel. It's consistently shown this way in their instructions, so I think you cut the tenon in the long barrel which is the upper barrel. But as I said I've never made one, so can't guarantee the results! The best thing to do would be to call Penn State and ask their tech people.

Pat L.

Laguna Beach, CA
http://pensbypatricia.com/NewPens

PatLawson

Originally posted by William Young
<br />...Here is the pdf that I had and you will see why I was confused.

Oh Boy...Well one of them has been changed, but unfortunately I see they are both dated 2004 - so don't know which one is the corrected one! I'm inclined to think that the one on their web site would be correct, but you never know....plus the fact that usually the long tube goes on the lower barrel. I dunno william, I think I would still call PSI.

Pat L.

Laguna Beach, CA
http://pensbypatricia.com/NewPens

arehrlich

I've made a number of these little fountain pens. They are nice and sell pretty well. To answer the question, the lower tube is the shorter one - 1.5" - and the longer tube is for the cap - 1.75".

The upper tube has the wood removed on one end, down to the brass tube - leaving 1.625" of wood. This allows the decorative band to be pressed into place.

I can't tell you the number of times I've forgotten to cut the upper tube down. Did all my finishing and then had to remount it and cut it down.

Let us know how it goes.

Alan

William Young

Thanks to everyone that responded to this topic. I have now made my first fountain pen. I went by the assembly instructions in the PSI site.
I used bocote for the wood and lacquer for the finish.
I was quite surprised how smoothly the nib writes . What a difference from when I used scratchy nibs many many moons ago in school. Pictures of same pen shown both open and closed.
W.Y.

129638552.jpg

129638423.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom