Need Help Brainstorming

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Hi FOlks,
I got an e-mail asking about a very customized pen today. this is the jist of it.
"I am looking for someone to make a " feathered " fountain pen. The feather should be natural in color and not to "poofy" if you get my drift. Using a large type feather such as an ostrich or other large diameter quill and then to have a fountain pen cartridge assembly fitted into it. This could be a turned wooden barrel that would fit into the end of the quill"
He wants a pen that looks like a feather but is really a fairly completely hidden fountain pen.
Any ideas how to get this done???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

To be only half facetious...call David Copperfield. I know of no feather with a central shaft large enough to hold a fountain pen ink cartridge much less the mechanism to go with it.

If there is such a thing assembling a unit to go inside should not be hard as long as we are not talking about hiding the nib as well.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Daniel
<br />Hi FOlks,
I got an e-mail asking about a very customized pen today. this is the jist of it.
"I am looking for someone to make a " feathered " fountain pen. The feather should be natural in color and not to "poofy" if you get my drift. Using a large type feather such as an ostrich or other large diameter quill and then to have a fountain pen cartridge assembly fitted into it. This could be a turned wooden barrel that would fit into the end of the quill"
He wants a pen that looks like a feather but is really a fairly completely hidden fountain pen.
Any ideas how to get this done???

I have actually been thinking about doing something like this as a desk pen. I have yet to do a fountain pen, so I am not sure what would work best. It's going to be a real project any way you look at it. An ostrich feather might be a good place to start. If cut with a razor, you may be able to cut away a portion of the feather tube, keeping only the part that that holds the feather material, as far back as needed, and glue it to the bare minimum FP parts. Pick a barrel material that matches the color of the feather tube. Try to get a smooth transition. Tell your potential customer that it may get very pricey. Good luck. If it turns out, show us a pic.

Daniel

Tim,
I got the pricy part covered. am waiting to see if he catches his breath or dicides he doesn't need to be as "period" as he thinks. He wants this to use at Ren. fairs etc.
as far as I have been able to find all Fountain pens are 10 mm. anyone correct me if there is a smaller one.
What are the actual deminsions of the kit with the stepped tubes?
I have already sujested something of the transition you describe also. will see if he is willing to compomise.
thanks

timdaleiden

Daniel,

I just did a Google search on "feather pens". I got this, amongst many others. http://www.ostrichesonline.com

Do a google search and it may give you some ideas.

ilikewood

Daniel,

You might try just making the nib end like the one in the ariticle on the front page of penturners.org I would shorten the brass and then try to taper the wood down to the feather quill size. You won't be able to hide the wood, but you might be able to conceal quite a bit of it. I think Kenn Osborne made a porcupine quill pen for the Rendezvous and that might give you some ideas as well.

Daniel

Tim,
Thanks at least that puts me on the trail for feathers. didn't even know where to start with finding natural ostrich feathers. they have them in multiple sizes.
Bill I will have to look at the pen you mention on the front page. I did see Kenns Quill pen. prehaps this will work???

Daniel

Bill,
I had not heard back from this person on his pen for quite awhile. I was thinking I had scared him of with the price I quoted him. So I had dropped it. Well I heard back from him today. he is still interested. So I need to verify that the pen you mention in your post above is the "Solid Body Euro Fountain Pen"
I will also be contacting Kenn to try and pick his brain.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom