Need help/advise...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MorganGrafixx

Been a while since my last post here...got a pretty big order and crawled into a shell to try and get it done.
I got an order in June for 4 pens. 1 Wall St. II, 2 Jr. Gent IIs, and a Classic American all four made with deer antler. The order is due before Christmas.
I got through the Wall St. pretty quick, then moved on to the Jr. Gents. I have gone through 4 racks of antlers trying to get a suitable blank. Those that I actually got blanks made for were ruined in the drilling stage.
I guess I'm just losing all faith that I can do these pens. If anyone out there has a special technique for getting a set of deer antler blanks ready to turn, please let me know. Currently, I cut the antler with a mitre saw, then grind down the curves until I have a basic squared blank. Then just punch the holes for the tubes on the drill press. I have had several "close calls" with losing a finger or an eye when the saw blade/drill bit/gouge bites and sends antler pieces flying in all directions.
At this point I would be willing to buy some pre-squared deer antler blanks and I'll just drill the holes. Or maybe I can trade a bunch of deer antler to anyone who can cut and square them for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AceMrFixIt

Here is a jig I use to center my holes for celtic knots. Drill the hole first, slide the blank on then run it through the band saw and the hole is centered then I make the cuts for the knots. Prevents drilling off center after the knot is done. It may work for antler but I havent tried it for that. You arent too far away if you want me to give it a try.

Attachments

• 100_0286.jpg
    100_0286.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 152

MorganGrafixx

I thought about drilling the holes first, but the problem I ran into was being able to get the antler into the vice on the drill press. The curve of the antler meant that the vice was never in contact with enough of the antler to hold it well enough for the drill to punch through. The antler would move/slide/shift the second the bit touched the antler.

BigguyZ

I will add to the people saying to drill on the lathe. I've had an epiphany with doing deer antler. I had the WORST time getting a single blank, but now I have a ton of antler "blanks". Most are drilled for 7mm pens, but I can always try to expand the hole with a larger bit if needed.

Hold the antler with pliers, and use the tailstock to help with the initial orientation. Though I do eventually go to just using the pliers, as I worry about the tailstock hitting the bit.

Another note to help, I will drill a small divot into the end going into the tailstock to allow it the seat better.

Also, I always reccomend turning and drilling with safety glasses. Close calls or not, you don't want to damage your eyes because of your hobby.

MorganGrafixx

Drilling it on the lathe looks like it could be a winner. Now I just need a drill chuck. I see some on Woodcraft.com and Craft Supplies, but I don't know if they will accept the large size drill bits. The Jr. Gent requires a 12.5mm and a 10.5mm bit. CS shows that the chucks take up to 1/2" diameter and the ones on WC don't even have the specs.

Mr Vic

I used this method for my first antler on a Baron fro Arizona Silhoutte. Worked perfect. I purchased my chuch at Harbour Freight for real cheap. The Baron uses a 15/32" and 25/64" bits

its_virgil

Place the antler section between centers and turn it round, or almost round. It can then be drilled using a pen blank vice. Also, more curved pieces can be straightened by rough turning them between centers.

Of course, the video method works fine also. But, if you don't have a jacobs chuck for drilling on the lathe then.....

Do a good turn daily!
don

Top Bottom