need help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curtis

I have a set of lathe chisels I bought for harbor fright when I first started turning, now that I am doing a lot more turning I would like to get a better set. I really don't know a whole lot about the chisels and what each one is used for. I would be turning mostly pens but if I could get a set with extras for bowls that would be great. I would like to keep it under $100.00

JimB

When I started 2 1/2 years ago I also bought the HF set, the ones that go for about $50. I still use them today for all my pen turning as well as other small stuff. There is no need to upgrade them for pen turning.

As far as what to buy next, that all depends on what you plan on doing. You most likely will not buy a set but rather individual tools for what you want to do. If you are goingto start doing bowls then you will want a bowl gouge (do NOT use your current set for doing bowls, they are not made for that and it could be dangerous) and probably a scraper. The sizes will depend on the size bowls or other things you plan to make.

Post a bit more about what you want to do and you will get better info on what to buy.

monophoto

I have a set of lathe chisels I bought for harbor fright when I first started turning, now that I am doing a lot more turning I would like to get a better set. I really don't know a whole lot about the chisels and what each one is used for. I would be turning mostly pens but if I could get a set with extras for bowls that would be great. I would like to keep it under $100.00

I suggest that you either purchase a copy of Ernie Conover's "The Frugal Woodturner", or else spend an hour or so looking through a copy at your friendly Borders or Barnes & Noble.

Conover suggests not buying 'sets' of tools, Instead, he suggests buying individual tools on an 'as-needed' basis.

If you are doing pens, you need a spindle gouge, parting tool and perhaps a skew. The spindle gouge is easy - a 1/2" HSS gouge is about perfect for pens. Parting tools are another matter - most sets come with a 1/4" parting tool, but in my experience a 1/16" HSS tool is more useful for pens. For the skew, choose either 3/4" or 1". Longer is a bit easier to use. An oval skew is also easier to use than a rectangular skew, but if you get the rectangular version, be sure to round over the edges so that they don't catch on your tool rest.

You can use these basic tools for just about any small turning project - pens, bottle stoppers, small tool handles, small cups, bowls, scoops, and tea lights.

The next items I would add include a scraper (1", round nose, HSS), a bowl gouge (3/4" HSS), and a small spindle gouge. Conover doesn't like small gouges, but I find a 1/4" gouge useful for detailed work.

JimB

I suggest that you either purchase a copy of Ernie Conover's "The Frugal Woodturner", or else spend an hour or so looking through a copy at your friendly Borders or Barnes & Noble.

Conover suggests not buying 'sets' of tools, Instead, he suggests buying individual tools on an 'as-needed' basis.

If you are doing pens, you need a spindle gouge, parting tool and perhaps a skew. The spindle gouge is easy - a 1/2" HSS gouge is about perfect for pens. Parting tools are another matter - most sets come with a 1/4" parting tool, but in my experience a 1/16" HSS tool is more useful for pens. For the skew, choose either 3/4" or 1". Longer is a bit easier to use. An oval skew is also easier to use than a rectangular skew, but if you get the rectangular version, be sure to round over the edges so that they don't catch on your tool rest.

You can use these basic tools for just about any small turning project - pens, bottle stoppers, small tool handles, small cups, bowls, scoops, and tea lights.

The next items I would add include a scraper (1", round nose, HSS), a bowl gouge (3/4" HSS), and a small spindle gouge. Conover doesn't like small gouges, but I find a 1/4" gouge useful for detailed work.

I imagine that is a typo. did you mean 1/4" or 3/8"?

Top Bottom