Need a good pen press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tazhunter0

Looking for a new pen press. Found one at Woodcraft the other day but trying to find out if anybody has used it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 383

ttpenman

There is a YouTube video I watched just the other day to make a wood press. Works great and costs almost nothing. I use a wood press I got from HUT 15 years ago and still going strong. Just make it out of a hardwood like Maple.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Mike Powell

I dont have that Press from woodcraft, I think I have the step under it. I have had no problems with mine, and prefer it over the C clamp I was using.

The Press I have is the one you add/remove spacers to for correct fitment.

TwoCatsPens

I use my lathe. I turned a couple of pieces of wood to fit the MT at the head and tailstock, attached a couple of small scraps from on old poly cutting board and just use that. Super convenient, very fine degree of control because you use the wheel to gradually ease the pieces together.

I drill / turn / finish and assemble all using the lathe. Now if could just get it to fix a decent cup of coffee I'd be great.

Prior to that, I had made a pen press out of bar clamp from HF. Just cut off the excess length and added a couple of poly cutting board pads over the clamp faces.

Steve

longbeard

Not an arbor press fan…sorry guys! To each his own. I've had several pen presses over the years from purchased to homemade to drill presses to … well you get the idea. My current and FAVORITE is this one: Milescraft 4700 Turners Press for Joining Pens and Other Turned Projects of All Types - Amazon.com
Merry Christmas
Don

I like those Don, didnt realize amazon sold those, thanks for link. I had thought about making my own using a toggle clamp as i use my arbor press for other things. Thanks

monophoto

I suppose a dedicated press would be nice, but I really don't have room for another gadget in my shop. So I use my drill press. Put a block of wood on the platform, and have a bolt with a scrap of wood glued onto the head that goes into the chuck to soften the other end.

its_virgil

Something like this? These I take when I travel. They work great.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
I use my lathe. I turned a couple of pieces of wood to fit the MT at the head and tailstock, attached a couple of small scraps from on old poly cutting board and just use that. Super convenient, very fine degree of control because you use the wheel to gradually ease the pieces together.
Steve

Attachments

• figure 1.jpg
    figure 1.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 134

TwoCatsPens

Something like this? These I take when I travel. They work great.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Mine are NOTHING like yours Don. I used a WHITE cutting board scrap, not a RED one. Everybody knows red is so last year. :biggrin:

Yea, mine would pass as cousins to yours. GMTA!!!

BTW Don, a lot of the stuff you wrote absolutely helped me when I was getting started out, and I'm sure still will continue to help me hone my skills

Steve

Last edited:
I have a pen press which does a good job, but I never thought about mounting it vertically. What a great idea. I purchased the arbor press and have not figured out how to manage it for all my needs. I use it for some jobs and it works well. It is not that costly if you have the 25% off coupon.

Merry Christmas

tazhunter0

I have the Milescraft press now but having a few issues with it. I have looked at the one that you remove or place the blocks in but afraid i would loose the blocks on my bench. Going to look at the Arbor Press set up.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks

New Bill

I'm still a rookie (first lathe about 3 months ago) but I use my small lathe for drilling and assembly. I like the control of the wheel while pressing. Assembled about 70 pens so far this way. (70 pens in 3 months = addicted)
408438579.jpg
[/IMG]
Picture worth 1000 words.

Mike Powell

knowltoh

I've had several pen presses over the years

Operative word is "several". I have had two. The first from Woodcraft, and the second is the arbor press.:) I agree, to each his own.

knowltoh

Not an arbor press fan…sorry guys! To each his own. I've had several pen presses over the years from purchased to homemade to drill presses to … well you get the idea. My current and FAVORITE is this one: Milescraft 4700 Turners Press for Joining Pens and Other Turned Projects of All Types - Amazon.com
Merry Christmas
Don

Operative word is "several". I have had two. The first from Woodcraft, and the second is the arbor press.:) I agree, to each his own.[/quote]

Brian G

Looking for a new pen press. Found one at Woodcraft the other day but trying to find out if anybody has used it.

I have it, but have only pressed a half-dozen pens with it, so my comments are sparse. Some of the review comments on Woodcraft's website mention the threads in the handle snapping off. That concerned me, but after a few presses, I think anyone that is having that problem has some serious issues with residual glue in their tubes.

I like the quick release for adjusting the length, and having the threads lets you sneak up on setting transmissions gradually. It's also helpful to make that last poofteenth you need to fully seat the part you're pressing in, without the tense moment worrying about that sickening cracking sound.

I'm pleased so far.

tazhunter0

I have it, but have only pressed a half-dozen pens with it, so my comments are sparse. Some of the review comments on Woodcraft's website mention the threads in the handle snapping off. That concerned me, but after a few presses, I think anyone that is having that problem has some serious issues with residual glue in their tubes.

I like the quick release for adjusting the length, and having the threads lets you sneak up on setting transmissions gradually. It's also helpful to make that last poofteenth you need to fully seat the part you're pressing in, without the tense moment worrying about that sickening cracking sound.

I'm pleased so far.

That's what I was looking for. I have to press 25-30 pens a month for orders and the one I have seems to be bending some. Not sure what or why but it does not press straight all the time. Might have to get it after the first of the year and try it.

Chris

Cmiles1985

I was at Northern Tool on Black Friday, and saw a nut cracker on sale for $8. It's functionality as a pen press is ok. All I have been making so far are slimline pens/pencils, and the nut cracker is long enough between ends to press the individual pieces. For the rest I use a bar clamp and two pieces of soft wood. I have not yet had problems with assembly (just still learning the art of sharpening and turning!).
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...Or5SDsbj3ktbx8W8w4xYSNIQ&ust=1388016162614208

JCochrun

This one I made for $1.00 has worked great for me for the past 10 years.

Les

Les,

What type of material do you use? What size hole do you drill in the pieces of wood? Does it affect the tips of the pens at all? I made a press based off plans I found here on IAP but I'm having problems with the wood block getting indentations and throwing the alignment off. Now that I have a floor mounted drill press, I could dedicate my bench top drill press to being a pen press.

Jim

mikebpeters

I just use a squeeze clamp. I get great control over the pieces to make sure that they go in straight, I already have them in the shop, and they are dirt cheap to replace.

Dan Masshardt

I just use a squeeze clamp. I get great control over the pieces to make sure that they go in straight, I already have them in the shop, and they are dirt cheap to replace.

I used one of these early on. What I don't like them for is pressing 7mm transmissions in. I find that sometimes the pressure would build up and then release - occasionally pushing it in farther than I wanted.

GaryT45

I currently use the Milescraft pen press (bought it at Woodcraft), and I've probably used it to assemble 200 plus pens. I've noticed that when I put any pressure on it now, the portion that holds the rod that applies pressure bends, and the rod is now angled upwards, not at the sliding rod. My thought is that the toggle clamp has suffered metal fatigue, and now any pressure on it just causes the metal to bend. I'm probably going to replace the toggle clamp (and take it easier in the future).

Jim Burr

Banned
I didn't see this posted, but...on the cheap...
I bought 18" of 1" black pipe and a flange. Screwed the flange to the bench, screwed the pipe into the flange, attached a Pony clamp with some cutting board sections glued to it. Hand crank on the clamp does just fine for finer work on slim transmissions and doubles as a great vertical clamp.

tazhunter0

I currently use the Milescraft pen press (bought it at Woodcraft), and I've probably used it to assemble 200 plus pens. I've noticed that when I put any pressure on it now, the portion that holds the rod that applies pressure bends, and the rod is now angled upwards, not at the sliding rod. My thought is that the toggle clamp has suffered metal fatigue, and now any pressure on it just causes the metal to bend. I'm probably going to replace the toggle clamp (and take it easier in the future).

That is what mine is doing. I have bent it back and wedge it but it still bends some. Just getting tired of fixing it every 3-4 pens.

PenMan1

I've owned many pen presses over the years. Like Don, I'm NOT a fan of an arbor press. IMHO, if you have to rely on the pressure of a half ton arbor press, you are doing something wrong.

I do, sometimes use a Milescraft press, but most of the time, I use a Zyliss Swiss Vice. I don't think any shop should be without a precision vise, so my bench mounted Zyliss performs many duties.

It seems much more precise and controllable that the other methods I've used.

CrimsonKeel

I use the woodcraft one and love it. i was cracking many pens before it and haven't had on crack since i bought it. I only use the screw part of the knob so i can go slow and steady making sure everything lines up. IMO one of the best things i have bought for making pens that saved me alot of pain in breaking stuff on the last step

Top Bottom