Need FP advice-info (long)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help, information about FP's. I know absolutely nothing about FP's except they have ink in them [:I] The last time a used an FP was in grade 4 or 5 and it had a lever on the side.
My wife would like an FP. From what she's seen on the forum and in catalogs (CSUSA - Berea) she's thinking of a Baron or JR. Gentleman II. She wants a threaded end with a posting cap. She likes the look of the Ligero but the cap doesn't post.
What I would like to know is how they operate (an article like an instruction sheet?). How do you fill, clean, maintain them? I've read the article about "breaking in the nib". Will the Baron and the JR. Gent II accept cartridges? The mfg. instructions don't tell you much. BP's take Cross, Parker, etc types of refills. When it comes to FP cartridges what are they called - type, manufacturer, etc so I can check for local availability. I presume all cartridges aren't the same. Which is better - cartridges or the type of pen you fill from a bottle (don't know what it's called) or is it up to the person's taste?
Thanks for any help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jenamison

I myself like the cartridges, but that is just a personal opinion. The nib gets broke into the users writing style. Every time the person uses the pen, they will feel comfortable using it. Where as someone else that picks it up to use, may have to manuver (sp) it a little before they are able to write with it comfortably.I hope that makes sense. We have a lot of customers that use them and LOVE them. Most Office Depots and Staples carry the refill cartridges.

Thanks Stan,
That answers some of the questions. I read that before but forgot about some of the details. I would still like to know what kinds of cartridges the pens take (make, type, etc). The A.S. site says the Baron kit is supplied with an ink cartridge and an ink pump. I guess you install one or the other? The CSUSA Jr Gent II assembly drawing shows a cartridge but doesn't say what kind (I guess a pump is not available).
I hope I'm not confusing others as much as I'm confusing myself.[:)]

driften

The cartridge is an international standard cartridge. The "ink pump" or converter can be used in place of a cartridge. It allows you to use bottled fountain pen ink. Its easy to switch between them.

mrcook4570

Both use the same type of cartridge. I believe its called a standard international cartridge (or something like that). Office supply stores sell them, as do many pen kit suppliers. CSUSA sells ink pumps separately (they call them reservoirs). BB also sells the ink pumps (he calls them converters).

PenWorks

George, that's an easy question,[:)] Buy a sterling silver Baron, buy the premium converter BB has, put the ink cartridge and converter that comes with the pen in a drawer for future spare parts, Buy a gold nib from me, use good bottle ink, preferablly Private Reserve, Present it to her on satin sheets, ( you could even get lucky) and she will love it and cherish it forever, and have no problems, assuming she flushes the nib/feed at least once a month with cold water [;)]

JimGo

I was waiting for Mr. 3000 to chime in there! When in doubt, you can pretty much always trust Anthony's advice, especially with respect to fountain pens.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Anthony, I don't smoke, but I felt like I needed a cigarette after reading your post! [:D]

The sterling silver Baron with premium converter is a great idea. The gold nib I haven't done yet, but will before too long. Satin sheets? Well, since the LOML is in Kuwait, that will have to wait a bit. OOPS! I forgot, the Private Reserve premium ink is a must, and gosh that's right, Anthony sells that too. (At a great price I might add.)

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Anthony only missed on key point. Since this if for your wife, make sure she gets to choose HER favorite color ink. Private reserve has something like 30 colors!

Mike & Jen,
Thanks for the info. The Staples cat. has cartridges for Cross, Waterman & Parker. The Office Depot cat has FP cartridges but doesn't state for what type of pen so I guess they're generic? Would you know which cartridges the Baron and Jr Gent II take?

Now that I've seen all the posts I think I know a bit more. If I follow Mr 3000's advice I'll be broke but I'll probably follow some of it anyway. Sorry William, I quit smoking 4 yrs ago. When it comes to colors and interior design - she's the boss - I go hide 'till she makes the selections (I like my life)[:)]
Thanks a lot guys, the info is appreciated!

I forgot to mention - I always let her have her way. She is always looking at the pictures of the beautiful pens here and keeps telling me to get more kits and wood.

PenWorks

Originally posted by Geo in Winnipeg
<br /> She is always looking at the pictures of the beautiful pens here and keeps telling me to get more kits and wood.

With a special lady like that, you should make her two fountain pens! [:p]

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Geo in Winnipeg
<br />She likes the look of the Ligero but the cap doesn't post.
You might consider the El Grande. It's like the Ligero, and the cap posts (friction fit). Of ocurse, if the part about the Ligero that she likes is the great graphics on the trim, that's not an option - the parts do not interchange between Ligero and El Grande. Note that the El Grande is lighter weight than the Ligero, as well as the Baron and jrG.

If she actually does a lot of writing with the FP, she might prefer the lighter weight, but there is also the question of overall size and that gets very personal. My suggestion would be to make one of each and let her choose. Both are great pens. Both have 14k gold nibs available from Anthony if that's desirable.

wayneis

Well George, the only thing that I can possibly say is to echo Anthony's advice and set back and wait to see what you make and what the results of your gift bring. It sounds as though you are already a very lucky man, as am I but if you do follow Anthony's advice then hang on because I don't think that luck will have a thing to do with it.

Go for the gold and satin,

Wayne

woodscavenger

Anthony, I have made quite a few FPs and IMHO they are exotic yet I have yet to have the reaction from the LOML that you mention. What gives? I may have to give up pen turning.[V]

wayneis

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Anthony, I have made quite a few FPs and IMHO they are exotic yet I have yet to have the reaction from the LOML that you mention. What gives? I may have to give up pen turning.[V]

Are you using the Satin sheets?[}:)][;)][:D] That could be your problem.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom